Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
dear Mr/Mrs. Let me introduce myself. my name is furqan and im from indonesia. would you mind answering my question. i just confuse about the sentence below between "it" and "being". why doesn't we insert "is" between "it" and "being" ? is that sentence correct grammatically?
if it is correct, why should we use "being" in that sentence?

The main problem with glucose relates to it being a fasting sample that needs to be transported on ice to the laboratory and tested promptly.

thank you.
best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]dear Mr/Mrs.[/STRIKE]

Let me introduce myself. My name is Furqan and I'm from Indonesia. Would you mind answering my question? I am just confused about the sentence below. [STRIKE]between[/STRIKE] "it" and "being". Why don't we insert "is" between "it" and "being"[no space]? Is that sentence correct grammatically?
If it is correct, why should we use "being" in that sentence?

The main problem with glucose relates to it being a fasting sample that needs to be transported on ice to the laboratory and tested promptly.

Thank you.
Best regards.
Welcome, Furqan!

First: Always, always, always begin sentences with capital letters. Always capitalize the word I and proper names (like Indonesia and Furqan).

The sentence is grammatical.

Glucose is a fasting sample. The problem relates to that. It relates to glucose being a fasting sample. It relates to the fact that glucose is a fasting sample.

I don't know what a fasting sample is.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A blood sample from someone who has been fasting.

Nothing is really "relating" here.

The main problem with glucose is that it is a fasting sample which needs to be transported on ice and tested promptly.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
furqan, always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A blood sample from someone who has been fasting.

Nothing is really "relating" here.

The main problem with glucose is that it is a fasting sample which needs to be transported on ice and tested promptly.
Furqan is just asking why the word being is there and why is and it are not.

Can you explain it? I tried, but I don't know how helpful my answer was. I'm sure other explanations would be welcome.

furqan1108

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sorry. I got that sentence from https://www.mlo-online.com/diagnostics/assays/article/13008473/the-glucose-vs-hba1c-controversy

Why don't we use to be is to separate between sentence the problem with glucose relates to it and being a fasting sample.

Please give an comprehensive understanding if i am mistaken. thank you.

I can't give you an understanding. You have to arrive at that on your own. I can only make corrections and offer suggestions.

It's appropriate that you thank me for reading that stuff. (It makes my head hurt.)

I left alone the part that was just too messed up for me figure out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, capitalize the first word of every sentence. Two, write shorter sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Furqan1108, please note that I have changed your thread title so that it is unique and relevant to the thread. Titles should include some/all of the text you are asking us about. Titles such as "asking" mean nothing and are useless.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
furquan1108, stop posting messages that say "Thank you". We have now deleted six such posts from you. As you can see from the "Reason for deletion" each time, we ask you not to waste time and space in this way. Click on the "Thank" button.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why dont we use to be is to seperate between sentence the problem with glucose relates to it and being a fasting sample.

furqan, this makes no sense.

To understand the sentence, look at SoothingDave's much superior restatement of the sentence:

Don't worry about the grammar of the original sentence—you ought to focus on more basic sentence structure first.

Status
Not open for further replies.