Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Hi, I need help with the meaning of this text, "specialized translators may (and often do) come across neonyms – ter`+that are neologisms, new creations in the source language – and may have to try and find the best solution to introduce them into the target language. This is where their linguistic creativity plays a part as well."
could someone please explain or paraphrase it for me?

what's the point of _ter+ in the above paragraph?
Is that something like a suffix or prefix in a new word?
overall I did not get it what was the writer trying to say by using _ter+ here? and I'm not sure whether come across means encounter or finding something new by accident like a new word?

Hi.

I need help with the meaning of this text:
"Specialized translators may (and often do) come across neonyms – ter`+that are neologisms, new creations in the source language – and may have to try and find the best solution to introduce them into the target language. This is where their linguistic creativity plays a part as well."

Could someone please explain or paraphrase it for me? What's the point of "ter+" in the above paragraph? Is that something like a suffix or prefix in a new word?
Overall, I did not get it what was the writer was trying to say by using "ter+" here no question mark and I'm not sure whether "come across" means "encounter" or "finding something new by accident", like a new word.

Note my corrections above. Remember to use a capital letter for the first word of every new sentence and to enclose words/phrases you are asking us about in quotation marks.
"Overall" isn't the word you need there. Did you mean something like "Most importantly"?

Before we go any further, please provide the source and author of the text you quoted. This is required every time you quote someone else's words due to strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based.

Source:"TRANSLATING IN A SPECIALIZED CONTEXT: CHALLENGES AND RISKS."
By" Sorina Ciobanu".

Are you sure you've transcribed this properly? It seems to me that what you've written in the quote above as an underscore is in fact the first of two dashes separating a parenthetical phrase (the second occurring after language).

And why have you included an apostrophe after ter in the quotation in the first sentence of your post but not in the question quoted at the top of this post? And why have you not included the word that before the plus sign?

Please retype an exact representation, or post a photograph, of the original text, so we can see clearly what it says. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, I need help with the meaning of this text, "specialized translators may (and often do) come across neonyms – ter`+that are neologisms, new creations in the source language – and may have to try and find the best solution to introduce them into the target language. This is where their linguistic creativity plays a part as well."
could someone please explain or paraphrase it for me?

Is that something like a suffix or prefix in a new word?
overall I did not get it what was the writer trying to say by using _ter+ here? and I'm not sure whether come across means encounter or finding something new by accident like a new word?

I have found the original text online. "_ter+" should read "terms".

Are you able to post a link, probus? If not, do you mean this?:

... come across neonyms—terms that are neologisms, new creations in the source language—and may have to try ...

Are you able to post a link, probus? If not, do you mean this?:

... come across neonyms—terms that are neologisms, new creations in the source language—and may have to try ...

That was my effort to post the link. The system seems to have automatically substituted the pdf text for the link. Anyway, jutfrank, I think you have found it.

Thanks for your effort, Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused, but I sure do appreciate it.

I'm not honestly sure what the difference between erms/terms that are neonyms and neologisms adds up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back