Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is it wrong to omit "who" in my sentence and should it be "the person" or "a person"?

"A role model is the person who you want to be like."

Is it wrong to omit "who" in my sentence and should it be "the person" or "a person"?

Would you say "A role model is the person" as a complete sentence?

You don't need "who". It's not wrong, but the sentence is better without it.

Last edited:

If you want to add a relative pronoun unnecessarily, why not change it to the grammatically correct whom? I'd use "a person."

A role model is a person whom you want to be like.

If you want to add a relative pronoun unnecessarily, why not change it to the grammatically correct whom? I'd use "a person."

A role model is a person whom you want to be like.
I'm pretty sure that any modern authority would say that who is equally correct.

Is it wrong to omit "who" in my sentence (No)and should it be "the person" or "a person"?

Y

I'm pretty sure that any modern authority would say that who is equally correct.

Yes, and most people today wouldn't worry about the inconsistency of maintaining that who is correct there but that he is incorrect in *[strike]I want to be like he[/strike].

Yes, and most people today wouldn't worry about the inconsistency of maintaining that who is correct there but that he is incorrect in *[strike]I want to be like he[/strike].
There's no inconsistency. He is always a subject pronoun except in the very common pattern between he and I. Very careful speakers avoid that pattern but the vast majority use it comfortably. Who is both a subject and an object pronoun to nearly every native speaker.

There's no inconsistency. He is always a subject pronoun except in the very common pattern between he and I. Very careful speakers avoid that pattern but the vast majority use it comfortably.
There are indeed many people who are comfortable making that mistake. Even native speakers can benefit from being taught about the grammar of English.

Who is both a subject and an object pronoun to nearly every native speaker.
To who have you proposed that idea?

To who have you proposed that idea?
I didn't get into the details. Few native speakers would say that. Whom is the only acceptable object pronoun immediately after a preposition for most speakers who use such constructions.

Whom is the only acceptable object pronoun immediately after a preposition for most speakers who use such constructions.

Isn't the reason for this that who is a nominative/subjective-case relative pronoun and has no business being there? Or does everything come down to comfort?

Isn't the reason for this that who is a nominative/subjective-case relative pronoun and has no business being there?
Yes, when it's immediately after a preposition. Grammarians who insist that nearly all speakers use their language wrong are doomed to irrelevance.

The OP having been answered, I'm closing the thread.

Thanks for keeping the discussion civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back