Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the first sentence even correct? "The poster was Misha's come true." There are two predicates in this sentence. Shouldn't it be like " The poster could make Misha's dream come true."?
图片1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The poster was Misha's dream come true" is OK grammatically.

In real life, the poster was not her dream come true. Had she been accepted by the band, that would have been her dream come true.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If she had always dreamt of seeing a poster saying the band were looking for guitarist, then the poster would have been her dream come true.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'A dream come true' or the variant 'X is a dream come true' are both very common and completely natural phrases.

As to the sentence in question - I don't think the poster itself was the dream come true (although that's how it's literally phrased), but rather the opportunity offered by the poster.

*^^*

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'A dream come true' or the variant 'X is a dream come true' are both very common and completely natural phrases.

As to the sentence in question - I don't think the poster itself was the dream come true (although that's how it's literally phrased), but rather the opportunity offered by the poster.
Thank you Skrej. I know the meaning of the sentence, just confused of the grammar as a nonnative speaker.
"A dream came true. A dream will come true. A dream comes true. " are all understandable. but "A dream come true"?
and how to understand this structure grammatically, "X is +a full sentence."?

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Think of "a dream come true" as a fixed expression instead of a "a full sentence".

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Thank you Skrej. I know the meaning of the sentence, just confused of the grammar as a nonnative speaker.
"A dream came true. A dream will come true. A dream comes true. " are all understandable. but "A dream come true"?
and how to understand this structure grammatically, "X is +a full sentence."?
Grammatically, it's a noun phrase, not a sentence. I'll borrow SoothingDave's reply in #5:
... "her dream (that had) come true"​
The whole thing is a noun phrase -- "come true"(without "that had") is a participial phrase(*1) modifying "her dream".

So to answer your question, "X is +a full sentence", it's actually "X is + a noun phrase".

This might also help: (it agrees with what Ostap said in #7)

(*1) some would call this a participial clause

Status
Not open for further replies.