Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the word "relevant" here be replaced by "related"? The latter appears to be a bit informal and cannot do the job. I am not sure. Dictionaries only give me a vague clue.

====================
Controlled human infection models (CHIMs) have been proposed as a strategy for accelerating SARS-CoV-2 vaccine development. Commentaries have focused on the ethical considerations raised by such models, noting their societal benefits and articulating a range of opinions regarding whether the risk is justified.1-3 The controversy they consider hinges on assumptions about the risk posed by purposeful infection (challenge) of humans with SARS-CoV-2 in a world that lacks a reliable treatment for Covid-19. Both the public health imperative that drives the push for a SARS-CoV-2 CHIM and the demand that the risk be justifiable require a model capable of addressing meritorious questions and delivering scientifically sound answers. On behalf of the Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) Vaccines Working Group, we have focused on the practical considerations relevant to the development of a SARS-CoV-2 CHIM and the prerequisites for using such a model.

Source: New England Journal of Medicine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2020076?query=featured_home

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It works, but relevant is fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can'trelated", even though [STRIKE]working[/STRIKE] it works, [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] be [STRIKE]counted[/STRIKE] classed as good English?

Note my corrections above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
GoodTaste, do you know the difference in meaning between "relevant" and "related"?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
GoodTaste, do you know the difference in meaning between "relevant" and "related"?

The difference is tricky.

relevant: connected with what is happening or being discussed.
We turned over relevant documents to the investigating team.
related: connected:We discussed unemployment and related issues.
(Cambridge Dictionary)

It appears to be that "related" is broader in sense than "relevant". The former has a general sense of connectedness, while the latter is confined to what is happening or being discussed.

I am not sure.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.