"The prices of female and male dress pants, at $75.66 and $71.71, were much higher than those of female and male dress shirts, which were 58.11..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"The prices of female and male dress pants, at $75.66 and $71.71 respectively, were much higher than those of female and male dress shirts, which were 58.11 and 51.46 dollars respectively."

"The well-known store had 50 jeans, but the numbers of dress pants and dress shirts in the store were each 40."

"Jeans cost 62.75 dollars for men and 57.1 dollars for women, and the percent difference between these prices is 10%, compared to 13% for dress shirts and 6% for dress pants."
Source: me

1) Is the first sentence clear and grammatical?

2) Regarding the 2nd sentence, is the use of "numbers" and "each" grammatical?

3) Is "the percentage differences in prices" correct, or do I have to use "between" instead of "in"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's my lunch break so I don't have time for 1 and 3, but I'll deal with 2.

"The well-known store had 50 jeans, but the numbers of dress pants and dress shirts in the store were each 40."

This is a confusing, awkward and ungrammatical sentence. I have questions!

1. Did the shop simply have 50 pairs of jeans in stock, across a range of styles and sizes? If so, open with "The store had 50 pairs of jeans in stock".
2. Do I understand correctly that they had 40 pairs of dress pants (trousers in BrE) and 40 dress shirts?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
It's my lunch break so I don't have time for 1 and 3, but I'll deal with 2.

This is a confusing, awkward and ungrammatical sentence. I have questions!

1. Did the shop simply have 50 pairs of jeans in stock, across a range of styles and sizes? If so, open with "The store had 50 pairs of jeans in stock".
2. Do I understand correctly that they had 40 pairs of dress pants (trousers in BrE) and 40 dress shirts?
1) Actually, I was describing this table.

2) Yes, that was the case.

Please, tell me what makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220915-130252_Zoom.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915-130252_Zoom.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 5

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @JasonAnderson and welcome to the forum. Did you have a question for us?

By the way, both "50 jeans" and "40 dress pants" are unnatural. In English we always use "pairs of jeans" and "pairs of pants".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@JasonAnderson
News flash! No matter what kind of store you manage you want to sell the things people want to buy. The last sentence in your post suggests that there is somehow something sinister about that. However, you do not want to order things which will stay on the shelves for a long time. You want people to buy what you are selling. You make people happy because they get what they want, and you're happy because you're making money.

(A moderator will edit this )

Status
Not open for further replies.