Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Today the first time I have heard a person pronouncing the "ly" in the word "simply" as "lie" not "li". That person is my teacher. So I don't know how to do with it, I have usually read it as "li" before.
Could you please tell me the correct pronunciation ?
Or we can use the both ways ?
Thank you so much !

Today the first time I have heard a person pronouncing the "ly" in the word "simply" as "lie" not "li". That person is my teacher. So I don't know how to do with it, I have usually read it as "li" before.
Could you please tell me the correct pronunciation ? That 'ly' ends with a long e sound; it rhymes with 'be.'
Or can we say it both ways ? no

But the words 'imply' and 'reply', as well as others, end with a long i sound. (rhyme with 'try')
Thank you so much !

That 'ly' ends with a long e sound; it rhymes with 'be.'
Sorry, but it doesn't exactly rhyme with 'be'. The vowel quality is that of 'be', but the sound itself, /i/, is shorter than the /i:/ in 'be'.

For some speakers, the sound can be similar to a short /I/ , as in 'hit'

We surely know how to read "ly" in "friendly", and what I meant is "simply" rhymes with "friendly" at the "ly" not with "rely" at the "ly" ! But my teacher has read it the second way. It's so weird to me ! Of course that's my current teacher, I remember my former teachers read it the first way.
Thank you so much !

Sorry, but it doesn't exactly rhyme with 'be'. I disagree. The vowel quality is that of 'be', but the sound itself, /i/, is shorter than the /i:/ in 'be'.
'vowel quality' would seem to indicate the sound. And I think that rhyming has more to do with sound than duration. Aside from that, in 'It can simply be a.....', the sound and duration of both are the same.

For some speakers, the sound can be similar to a short /I/ , as in 'hit'
What I say describes the dominant North American pronunciation. I don't know about the British pronunciation, or that of other speakers.

We surely know how to read "ly" in "friendly", and what I meant is "simply" rhymes with "friendly" at the "ly" not with "rely" at the "ly" ! But my teacher has read it the second way. It's so weird to me ! Of course that's my current teacher, I remember my former teachers read it the first way.Perhaps you will find a diplomatic way of mentioning that to your current teacher.
Thank you so much !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back