Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

What is a verb I can use which means you could see something in great quantity on either side of the roads in a place? I feel like I once heard "lined up" but I could not find it in the dictionary. I mean this meaning.

1901402.jpg

Is this correct?

The roads were lined up with car wreck on both sides.

If line up is not correct, which I suspect isn't, what verb should I use?

Just lined, not lined up.

Last edited:
Perhaps:

You could see wrecked cars on both sides of the road.

How did they get the wrecked cars to line up?

I was think if I ever needed to describe a war-stricken city, maybe I would need that.

I can see cars lined up waiting for the light to change. But I doubt that several wrecked cars near each other would be a planned thing. They are unlikely to be in any kind of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you fix the simple error, it will be.

Do you mean plural s for wreck?

The roads were lined with car wrecks on both sides.

I can see cars lined up waiting for the light to change. But I doubt that several wrecked cars near each other would be a planned thing. They are unlikely to be in any kind of line.

I have found this in a dictionary: a tree-lined road

So, I thought when you have something in great quantity on both sides of the road, you could use it.

I have found this in a dictionary: "a tree-lined road".

So, I thought when you have something in great quantity on both sides of the road, you could use it.
It's not impossible, but it doesn't work as well with randomly-generated things like car wrecks.

It's not impossible, but it doesn't work as well with randomly-generated things like car wrecks.

So, what is an expression that can be used to suggest car wrecks were on both sides of the road in great quantity?

So, what is an expression that can be used to suggest car wrecks were on both sides of the road in great quantity?
You could try something like Wrecked cars were scattered on both sides of the highway. You might want to add a few details if the wrecks had been moved to the shoulders ("berms" in British and possibly in New England English).

Last edited:
Is this okay?

The roads were lined with car wreck on both sides.
Almost. Say either:

- The roads were lined with car wrecks on both sides.

- The roads were lined with wrecked cars on both sides.

You could try something like Wrecked cars were scattered on both sides of the highway. You might want to add a few details if the wrecks had been moved to the shoulders ("berms" in British and possibly in New England English).
In New England, a berm is a bank of dirt. The side of the road is a shoulder.

In parts of Massachusetts, like I-93, it's legal to drive full-speed on the shoulder.

I hate it there.

Last edited:
To me, it just means there are a lot of them. Maybe hyperbole, maybe not, depending on the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back