Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

I was walking in the afternoon. A bird was flying above and I could see its shadow moving on the asphalt of the street. Is there a verb to describe the movement of shadow?

I thought it would be strange to say "The bird's shadow was flying on the asphalt".

How would you describe something like that?

Your reader will understand how shadows work, so you can get creative about how it moved. Moving would be perfectly fine, but you could get a little more descriptive with flitting, scurrying, dancing, or a number of other words. I would avoid flying​, however, since it stays on the ground.

Well, you saw the shadow move. The moving shadow told you which direction the bird was moving.

Your reader will understand how shadows work, so you can get creative about how it moved. Moving would be perfectly fine, but you could get a little more descriptive with flitting, scurrying, dancing, or a number of other words. I would avoid flying​, however, since it stays on the ground.

Flitted over works well for me.

What great verbs!

The bird's shadow flitted on the hot asphalt.

What great verbs!

The bird's shadow flitted [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] over the hot asphalt.
"Flitting" isn't done to a surface, so on doesn't work. Images may flit about or flit around. Other prepositions may be possible, but they all have to do with moving in space, not on a surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back