[Grammar] The tsunami washed over 11 countries and killed more than 225,000 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Good afternoon, everyone. Could you please help me to check the sentence? Could I replace which made with making? which stands for the first whole sentence. Thanks in advance.
  1. The tsunami washed over 11 countries and killed more than 225,000 people from Indonesia to Thailand, which made it one of the biggest natural disasters in history.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[STRIKE]Good afternoon, everyone[/STRIKE]. Unnecessary – it's only afternoon in certain time zones.:)

Could you please help me to check the sentence? Could I replace which made with making? Yes

The tsunami devastated 11 countries and killed more than 225,000 people from Indonesia to Thailand, which made it one of the biggest natural disasters in history.

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance[/STRIKE]. You can thank us after you get a useful answer.;-)

'Washed over' is far too feeble a verb to describe the destruction caused by a tsunami.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Indonesia and Thailand were hit badly by the tsunami, but it reached Somalia, so your choice of countries doesn't reflect the full geographical extent of it.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Could we reduce which made when it prefers to the whole sentence? I would like to ask this question because I only know that we can reduce a relative pronoun which prefers to a noun. ( in Practical English Usage by Michael Swan)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could reduce it to making.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your version with which made is okay, but the sentence is better with making, as suggested by Tdol above.

Status
Not open for further replies.