Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

When you read this sentence, do you think I intend the adjective "state-of-the-art" for both lab and facility? If so, how can I avoid that?

As an adjective, state-of-the-art does not match with facility, right?

The university has state-of-the-art labs, facilities and auditoriums. It also has lots of prestigious professors.

The adjective modifies all three nouns. State-of-the-art facilities is fine.

The adjective modifies all three nouns. State-of-the-art facilities is fine.

Thanks. Does "prestigious professor" work? And what if I put a comma after and?

The university has state-of-the-art labs and facilities, and also lots of prestigious professors.

You have put the comma before 'and' – not after it – which is fine, and better than leaving it out.

The word "facilities" is pretty much all-inclusive. That is, it includes labs.

You have put the comma before 'and' – not after it – which is fine, and better than leaving it out.

That is what I have done.

The university has state-of-the-art labs and facilities, and also lots of prestigious professors.

Do you mean I need comma before "the first and"?

The word "facilities" is pretty much all-inclusive. That is, it includes labs.

So, are you suggesting I just write it like this?

The university has state-of-the-art facilities, and also lots of prestigious professors.

Yes, but I might say:

and many highly-regarded professors.

In my humble opinion, the word "lots" is way overused, and you should use an alternative when possible. Also, I would say that because the facilities are so good and the professors so highly-regarded that they confer prestige upon the university.

Yes, but I might say:

and many highly-regarded professors.

In my humble opinion, the word "lots" is way overused, and you should use an alternative when possible. Also, I would say that because the facilities are so good and the professors so highly-regarded that they confer prestige upon the university.

So, would you say this does not work?

The university has state-of-the-art facilities, and also many prestigious professors.

You can use that.

I think reputable professors would be better. I would use many instead of lots of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back