Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Hello,
If I have the sentence "I extended the list of keywords". In this sentence the definite article is not necessarily needed before the noun, right? we don't know more specific information about the keywords.

However, if I make it more specific by adding something that answers the question: What kind of keywords? then the definite article is needed, right? For example: "I extended the list of the TODO keywords."

TODO all capitalized is not a proper English words but let's say it is a label in a computer program that targets a specific set of keywords.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
As far as I know the definite article is used if we are talking about a specific thing. That's why I'm not sure if it is required when we don't specify TODO.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I have the sentence "I extended the list of keywords". In this sentence the definite article is not necessarily needed before the noun, right? we don't know more specific information about the keywords.

That sentence makes sense without a definite article, yes.

However, if I make it more specific by adding something that answers the question: What kind of keywords? then the definite article is needed, right? For example: "I extended the list of the TODO keywords."

No, that's not right. Modifying a noun doesn't mean the noun phrase must become definite. So the sentence still makes sense even if you add TODO.

Definite articles don't say anything about what kind. They say only which one(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.