Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When a person's faith in his religion becomes less strong, what word should I use to describe this.

He has backslided.
His faith in his religion has waned.

Can the above words in bold be used?

Thanks.

When a person's faith in his religion becomes less strong, what word should I use to describe this.

He has backslided. "backslided" is not a word.His faith in his religion has waned.

Thanks.

Why not, "He has lost (his) faith"?

He has backslided.
His faith in his religion has waned.

Thanks.

"His faith in his religion" is somewhat tautological. If you just say "His faith is waning/has waned", I would certainly assume you were talking about religion.

His faith isn't as strong as it used to be.
His faith is diminishing.
His faith has waned a little/a lot.
He's not as radical/fundamental as he was [about religion].

He's started to come to his senses. ;-)

Thanks, Bhaisahab, for pointing out the error.

It should be 'backslid'.

The word 'lapsed' often collocates with religions; 'lapsed Catholic' seems to me very common ;-)

b

(Not a Teacher)

All of the posters above have made excellent suggestions. I personally prefer the sentence you proposed in your original post: "His faith has waned" (minus the 'in his religion' part)

If you're interested, the specific word for this is 'apostasy' (with 'apostate' being both the noun and the adjective). However, it's a rather scholarly word, so it will sound a bit highbrowed in everyday conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back