Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Many commercial actors use a range of coordinated and sophisticated strategies to protect business interests—their corporate playbook—but many of these strategies come at the expense of public health.

Source: The Lancet The public health playbook: ideas for challenging the corporate playbook

Does "their corporate playbook“ refer back to "strategies" or "interests"?

The former appears to be more likely to me because business interests are the purpose of the strategies or the playbook. I am not absolutely sure.

Which?

Last edited:
tactics matches strategies.
So is my guess correct there?

Tactics matches strategies.
So is my guess correct there?
A strategy is a plan. A tactic is a means of carrying out that plan.

A strategy is a plan. A tactic is a means of carrying out that plan.

Well, it is technically correct. But please answer my question directly.

Precisely which question do you want answered?

Grammatically, does "their corporate playbook“ refer back to "strategies"? Or "interests"?

It refers to (a range of (coordinated and sophisticated) strategies (to protect business interests))

Grammatically, does "their corporate playbook“ refer back to "strategies" no question mark here or "interests"?
Don't make an "or" question into two separate questions. Simply say "Is it X or Y?"

Their corporate playbook is the "range of coordinated and sophisticated strategies [that they use to protect their business interests]".

(Cross-posted with 5jj)

Don't make an "or" question into two separate questions. Simply say "Is it X or Y?"

Stephen Hawking wrote in The Grand Design, which starts with "Or":

IMG_5168.jpg,

I think Stephen Hawking was asking a rhetorical question. In any case, if you want to know how to adeptly use "Or" at the beginning of a sentence I suggest that you closely follow my posts.
😊

I think Stephen Hawking was asking a rhetorical question. In any case, if you want to know how to adeptly use "Or" at the beginning of a sentence I suggest that you closely follow my posts.
😊

Where are your posts regarding the use of "or" at the start of a sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back