Then he says, Well, how would you say it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Arnold Schwarzenegger breaks down his most iconic characters, including his roles in 'The Terminator [...]

Arnold: When I read the I'll be back line, I said to Jim Cameron, I said, "To me it sounds weird when I say I'll be back." Then he says, "Well, how would you say it?" And I said, "I will be back." And he says, "No."

[In the beginning of the video in the link]
https://www.gq.com/video/watch/icon...negger-breaks-down-his-most-iconic-characters
---
Me: Why did Arnold use "says" rather than "said" for Jim Cameron's saying?

Friend: It’s just a thing we do in english sometimes when we’re recalling moments or memories. This is mostly present in spoken english or creative writing. It is not ideal to use the tense mix-up in formal writing.

Me: Did "says" there mean the same as "said" when Arnold used it at that time?

Friend: Yes. He’s just using the present tense while referring to the past. There’s really no limit of time, as in I could recall a memory from ten years ago and still use the present tense. It's a way of putting yourself in the moment when you tell a story, to create immersive storytelling, and to let your listeners be there with you in the moment. So he starts off not doing it, then he moves into doing it.

Me: I don't like the tense mix-up.

Friend: You tell him that lol. Basically, he brings us as a listener into the past tense, and narrates the story as if it is happening in the present. Usually, you would shift your way into speaking like that. You may start in past tense, but you then start to tell the story in present tense.
----
I agree with him. However, I'd also like to hear your opinions. :)

[Edit: Improved the content.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back