Then he took me into a back room(,) where the rejected suits were kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went into the tailor’s shop and asked if they had a cheap suit. The fellow I spoke to made no answer at first, looked me up and down, noticed that I was almost in rags, then said, “Just a minute.” I waited till he had finished his work. Then he took me into a back room, where the rejected suits were kept.

Source: An English textbook for senior high school students in China, People’s Education Press

Do you think whether the comma in the last sentence could be removed to make the where-clause a restrictive clause like this?

Then he took me into a back room where the rejected suits were kept.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you think whether the comma in the last sentence could be removed to make the where-clause a restrictive clause like this?

Then he took me into a back room where the rejected suits were kept.
That would be better with the back room.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean the original sentence would be better with the back room?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, 5jj meant that a restrictive clause would be more likely with a definite article.

The original sentence is just fine as it is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean the original sentence would be better with the back room?
Only if there was only one backroom.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. Then he took me into the back room where the rejected suits were kept. (There is more than one back room and only this one is used to keep the rejected suits.)

2. Then he took me into the back room, where the rejected suits were kept. (This is the only back room and it is used to keep the rejected suits.)

3. Then he took me into a back room, where the rejected suits were kept. (There may be just one or may be more than one back room. The function of the back rooms are just for keeping the rejected suits.)

4. Then he took me into a back room where the rejected suits were kept. (There are many back rooms. Some of them are used to keep the rejected suits and some are for other purposes. This room is one of the back rooms which are used to keep the rejected suits.)
= Then he took me into one of the back rooms where the rejected suits were kept.

What do you think of my understanding?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I won't argue with your analysis. However, I wouldn't say the room keeps the suits. Instead, they keep the suits in the room. (A room is an inanimate object and doesn't do anything.)

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your reply, Tarheel. I've used the passive voice to rewrite the sentences.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't like what you're trying to do here. You'd do better to focus on the actual sentence, and what it actually means. The relative clause here is not restrictive—it provides additional information about the room.

If you want to explore the meaning and use of other forms, you should use other sentences, in their respective contexts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original sentence is written from the customer's viewpoint. Keeping that in mind, the original is fine. (The customer doesn't know or care how many back rooms there are. He's just there to get a suit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.