Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm arguing with a friend of mine right now about the usage of "be likely to do smth" in the sentence below. He's saying it's not possible to use "be likely to do smth" this way because I cannot divide this phrase with "not only, but also". What do you think?

They are likely not only to put their knowledge into practice, but also to learn by experience and develop a new set of skills.

I'm arguing with a friend of mine right now about the usage of "be likely to do smth" in the sentence below. He's saying it's not possible to use "be likely to do smth" this way because I cannot use this phrase with "not only, but also". What do you think?

Yes, you can.

They are likely not only to put their knowledge into practice, but also to learn by experience and develop a new set of skills.

That is perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about learn from experience?

Boris T, I inadvertently left "They" out of the second sentence, but I can't fix it because if I do I'll lose my likes.
:)

Go ahead and edit your post, Tarheel. I think you'll find that your 'likes' disappear only briefly. They should return when you leave the thread and come back to it. If they don't, I'll put them back in for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back