They dance every style. They are dancing every style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is from a textbook on grammar called "A Grammar of Present-day English" by I.P. Krylova.

Task: Make up situations to justify the use of the present indefinite and the present continuous in the following pairs of sentences:

They dance every style.
They are dancing every style.

My variant is:
1. They dance every style means that, for example, a child goes in for dancing but is not taught a certain style. They dance folk dancing, ball-room dancing, modern dancing etc.
2. They are dancing every style means that right now an observer can see a lot of styles that dancers are performing. But how can it be is a mystery to me: the music is the same. Maybe it is a disco club where one can see a hotchpotch of styles bing danced no matter what music is on.

Could you help me with this task and speculate on this topic?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither example sentence is natural so there is little point trying to justify them. I'm assuming the writer of that book is not a native English speaker (given the author's name). I recommend you use something like English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy or Practical English Usage by Michael Swan.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for your answer. Textbooks written by non-natives are also beneficial: just because they are specially build for students with this particular background (underline similarities, explain difficulties, translate from your native language).

And secondly: you may be wrong about whether they are natural or not.

Let's have a look at "The Young Lions" by Irwin Shaw: https://booksonline.com.ua/view.php?book=22886

1651400077271.png

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither example is natural, as emsr2d2 said. The fact that you found an example of one form in a novel does not change that.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is from a textbook on grammar called "A Grammar of Present-day English" by I.P. Krylova.
Having read the examples you have posted from this book, I'm not a fan of this author—not least because they don't seem to be aware that in present-day English the names of tenses are not capitalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.