Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In my textbook I came across this explanation "I see her dancing" means she is dancing now and I see her now, but "I see her dance" means "I see how she danced". I can't find it in modern books. Shouldn't it be "I saw her dancing" which means she was in the process of dancing" and "I saw her dance" which means "she danced", which is a completed action, but not "I see her dance" which doesn't mean the same as "I saw her dance"?
It's a Georgian-English textbook. Perhaps it's a typo or an old use.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my textbook, I came across this explanation:

"I see her dancing" means she is dancing now and I see her now, but "I see her dance" means "I see how she danced".

I can't find it in modern books. Shouldn't it be "I saw her dancing" which means she was in the process of dancing" and "I saw her dance" which means "she danced", which is a completed action, but not "I see her dance" which doesn't mean the same as "I saw her dance"?

It's a Georgian-English textbook. Perhaps it's a typo or an old use.

I don't think it's a typo. I think it's either a failure of the author's English or it's a very old usage (that I'm not familiar with). In no context would I take "I see her dance" to mean "I see how she danced". In fact, I can't think of a natural context for "I see her dance".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't think it's a typo. I think it's either a failure of the author's English or it's a very old usage (that I'm not familiar with). In no context would I take "I see her dance" to mean "I see how she danced". In fact, I can't think of a natural context for "I see her dance".
Could you confirm that what I wrote is correct?

For an action in the past it's "I saw her dance" or " I saw her dancing". "Dancing" is used if the action was in progress.
If it's happening now only "I see her dancing" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.