[General] They just lurk and watch our chatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kris and I are in an online group with 500 participants in it. Kris said today that "It seems that we two are the only alive people!" and I replied to him "They just lurk and watch our chatting".

Is the italic sentence natural to mean "They are just keeping silent in the group and watching Kris and I chatting"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Kris and I are in an online group with 500 participants.[STRIKE] in it.[/STRIKE] Kris said today, [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "It seems that we two are the only people alive [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] [here]!" and I replied [STRIKE]to him[/STRIKE] "They just lurk and watch [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] us chatting".

Is the italic sentence natural to mean "They are just keeping silent [STRIKE]in the group[/STRIKE] and watching Kris and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] me chatting"?

Yes. The italic version is better than your explanatory version later.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Alive" doesn't make sense in that. Did you perhaps mean "online"?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Alive" doesn't make sense in that. Did you perhaps mean "online"?

More or less. I think Kris meant that those participants in the group are "dead" because they don't say anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it works but it would work better as part of a longer (and more sarcastic) sentence. Perhaps, in the middle of a chat, Kris could have suddenly said, as if calling out to a large empty room, "Hello????!!!! HELLOOOOO?! Is there anyone out there? Are we the only two people alive in here?! Ha ha ha!"

Status
Not open for further replies.