This one is strictly applied to father-son context.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Tonight a group of my friends got together and I am the only male here. Since all of us are quite close, we talked about almost everything.

I then took a picture of all of us and sent it to my friend Hook. I said “A group of weird women (jokingly)”. Then my friend said “The cattle calls the pot black”. I then said “No, it’s the law of foundation that made us together. (Because silver is also weird). Then Hook added: “The apple don’t fall far from the tree”.

I then replied: This one is strictly applied to father-son context.

The intended meaning is : “The Apple don’t fall from far the tree” is strictly applied to father-son context.

Would native speakers say the same in my situation?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's: "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I've never heard it being applied to a mother/daughter relationship. Maybe you're right.

The other one is: "It's the pot calling the kettle black."

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1) You need a determiner (a) for the noun context.
2) There's no need for the passive voice. Active is fine.

This one strictly applies to a father-son context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tonight, a group of my friends got together and I am was the only male there. Since all of us are we're all quite close, we talked can talk about almost everything anything. (I'm not sure how that last sentence is relevant to the text.)

I then took a picture of all of us and sent it to my friend Hook. I jokingly said “A group of weird women". (jokingly). Then my friend said He replied The cattle calls the pot black That's the pot calling the kettle black”. I then said “No, it’s the law of foundation that made us together. (Because silver is also weird)." Then Hook added: “The apple don’t fall far from the tree”.

I then replied no colon here This That one is strictly applied used only to in a father-son context."

The intended meaning is no colon here "'The apple don’t fall from far the tree' is strictly applied used only to in a father-son context."

Would native speakers say the same in my situation?
Note my corrections above. I have no idea what you meant by the two underlined sentences.

I wouldn't say what you said. Why not? Because it's not true. It applies to any parent-child relationship - father/son, mother/son, father/daughter, mother/daughter. It simply suggests that the genetic link between a parent and their child is so strong that behaviours and characteristics of the parent frequently show up in their children.

Also note, of course, that "don't" makes the idiom/proverb grammatically incorrect, even though you'll commonly hear it said that way. Technically, it should be "doesn't".

PS - If I had £1 for every time you use the word "then", I'd be quite rich by now. Here's a challenge - don't use "then" at all in your next five posts!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In theory it could apply to any child/parent relationship. However, in my experience a separate phrase is used for mother/daughter relationships: like mother, like daughter.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In theory, it could apply to any child/parent relationship.
I don't think that's a theory - it's a fact!
However, in my experience a separate phrase is used for mother/daughter relationships: like mother, like daughter.
That might well be true for AmE, but in BrE we use "Like father, like son" just as frequently as "Like mother, like daughter".
The phrase "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is commonly used for any parent-child relationship.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know if my experience is typical.

You're probably right. (I am almost always wrong.)