Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It seems that THIS or THAT is rarely used before a relative clause.

For example:
"The person who lives in this house has not been seen for days." --> If it goes with "THAT person who...", it seems a little unnatural, right?

Especially in this sentence:
"This is the cat which was found in the park yesterday."

If I change it into:
"This is THAT cat which was found in the park yesterday." --> that would be much odder, right?

However, in my language (Mandarine), this or that--even when they're put close--is commonly used and sounds natural.

Why is this or that in the cases above so unnatural in English? Do you think so? Is there a theory behind it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is the relative clause that defines the noun. There is no need for further definition by 'this' or 'that'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems that THIS or THAT "this" and "that" is are rarely used before a relative clause.

For example, "The person who lives in this house has not been seen for days." If it goes with I change it to "That person who...", it seems a little unnatural, right?

Especially in this sentence Here is another example: "This is the cat which that was found in the park yesterday."
If I change it into no colon here "This is THAT cat which that was found in the park yesterday no full stop here", that would be much odder, right?

However, in my language (Mandarine Mandarin), "this" or "that", even when they're put close, (close to what?) is are commonly used and sounds sound natural.

Why is are "this" or and "that" in the cases above so unnatural in English? Do you think so they're unnatural? Is there a theory behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.