Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Source: Oxford University Press - Open Forum 1- 4

Student A: You mean he forgets things?
Student B: Right. He lost his memory. He had encephalitis—this virus that destroyed the part of his brain that controls memory.

Does "a" or "the" work in this context?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "a" there only if the person went on to describe the general effects of encephalitis (that would use the present tense and wouldn't use "his"). To keep the end of the sentence intact, I'd use the definite article. In real life, I'd use neither. I'd say "He had encephalitis - it destroyed the part of his brain ...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 That's way more words than I wanted to use. 😊

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

This is not a good question. Work to do what?

I don't think you should try and change language that has been written specially by an expert, to serve as a model. Instead, ask why 'this' is the best choice for the context. You can't go around replacing the words native speakers use.

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is not a good question. Work to do what?
I don't think so. At least six people here, including you, understood me. It is good enough for me, a non-native English speaker.

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think you should try and change language that has been written specially by an expert, to serve as a model.
I don't think so. I think "try and change" is a good way to learn, especially a foreign language.
At least four native speakers here would not use "this" in that context.

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can't go around replacing the words native speakers use.

I can and should do this because I also think it's a good method to learn English. There is always more than one way to express one thing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm sorry if I upset you. I'm speaking as a teacher, that's all. I've spent nearly every day of the last four weeks writing and talking about teaching methodology, and when my head is filled with something, sometimes it spills out. I was genuinely trying to understand what you were asking, and I would never pretend to misunderstand you.

I don't know if it is "the best choice."

I meant it is the best choice in the sense that that's what the speaker chose to use, for a reason. Are you not asking anything related to that word? I thought perhaps you were, indirectly.

If you replace it with 'a' or 'the', it could make sense but you'd change the meaning. Does that count for you as 'working'? Whether your two suggested words make sense in the context? Or is it just whether they'd be grammatical that you want to know? Or is it ultimately something else?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source: Oxford University Press - Open Forum 1- 4

Student A: You mean he forgets things?
Student B: Right. He lost his memory. He had encephalitis—this virus that destroyed the part of his brain that controls memory.

While "why" questions are often hard to answer, in this case, I would use "a" because the person seems to be describing the virus. (The word "this" might be appropriate in that person's vernacular. I wouldn't argue about it. (Arguing takes up time you could be doing something else, like playing chess. 😊.))