This was the earliest appointment she could give me. She couldn't have given me an ap

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I called an MRI center for an appointment. The receptionist asked me come at 9 PM the next day. This was the earliest appointment she could give me. She couldn't have given me an appointment for prior than this because there were other appointments prior than this.

Could you please check my sentences?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The entire last sentence is redundant. By saying that 9pm was the earliest appointment she could offer you, we already assume that there were no earlier appointments available. You can shorten it even further to:

I called to make an appointment at an MRI centre. The earliest appointment available was 9pm the next day.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The entire last sentence is redundant. By saying that 9pm was the earliest appointment she could offer you, we already assume that there were no earlier appointments available. You can shorten it even further to:

I called to make an appointment at an MRI centre. The earliest appointment available was 9pm the next day.

That is redundant but I hope that it is not wrong. Am I correct? I wanted to get my last sentence checked. I was unsure about that sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She couldn't have given me an appointment for prior than this because there were other appointments prior than this.

Your final sentence is not grammatically correct. "Prior than this" is not right. When it is appropriate to use "prior" (not in this situation), we use "prior to". I would have written your final sentence as "She couldn't give me an appointment any earlier than that because there weren't any".

Status
Not open for further replies.