Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I come across a short video on Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, in which a senior scholarlike American speaks the following:
The best way to destroy a person: to eat low-level suffering. Suffering is the motivation of human evolution,is the foundation of various undertakings.But so many people have eaten so much suffering, why is it useless? Some low-level suffering, the more you eat, the more tired, the more bitter, the more difficult. You change to eat those high-level suffering,can bring you great changes, rather than hinder your growth of suffering.What is high-level suffering? First, can bring you growth and profound experience.Second...

The English appears rather odd to me, like "eat...suffering" (shouldn't it be "take...suffering"?) - the collocation sounds Chinglish, I am not absolutely sure.
I suspect that the author of the video used AI to mimic an American to speak the translation (from an original Chinese text).
Do you think it is possible that such text is written by a native speaker? I wonder whether you native speakers understand what "to eat low-level suffering" means. From Chinese culture background, it is very clear that it means "to take or go through meaningless sufferings".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That doesn't sound like a native speaker at all. It's full of very poor English.

I have no idea what the verb eat is supposed to mean.

Is there any way you could provide the original audio?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That doesn't sound like a native speaker at all. It's full of very poor English.

I have no idea what the verb eat is supposed to mean.

Is there any way you could provide the original audio?
A screenshot:
_20230915_210711.jpg

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Another screenshot to show the number of the author's Douyin (or subversion of it as 火山号 96651523942) in case you may/can download the app from the UK or US or wherever you are in and the number and play the video.
_20230916_052856.jpg

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's all in Chinese. Anyhow, there's no way to make "eat suffering" make sense in English.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Eat suffering" is the direct translation from the Chinese characters, 吃苦. It is set phrase in Chinese for the character "eat" (吃), meaning "bear/take", to collocate with "suffering". The writer probably think as a Chinese and the video is meant for a Chinese audience.