Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a word (most likely it's a verb or a collocation) which means that one person is aspiring to take someone else's position at work in order to finally occupy this position using intrigues, setting up other people, etc. For example I may want to become head of a department, but someone else, my competitor, has already taken over and then I start doing different things "to overthrow" him. Could you please help me find the word describing such actions?

Here's what I've found so far:

1. You can work calmly, I'm not going to hold you up.
2. I liked the place of my work and soon I became to tie up my boss.
3. Don't worry too much as I'm not here to take your job.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty confident there's no one verb that covers everything you mean. You'll have to combine a couple of words or phrases.

scheming to overthrow someone
plotting to oust someone from their position

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm pretty confident there's no one verb that covers everything you mean. You'll have to combine a couple of words or phrases.

scheming to overthrow someone
plotting to oust someone from their position

OK, I will provide some sample sentences of my own. Please make sure they are correct and convey the target meaning:

1. He has been plotting for a long time to oust his colleague from his position and become the senior of the department.
2. I know it's useless to scheme to overthrow my boss from his position because he has support from the administration of the company.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, I will provide some sample sentences of my own. Please make sure they are correct and convey the target meaning:

1. He has been plotting for a long time to oust his colleague from his position and become the senior of the department.
2. I know it's useless to scheme to overthrow my boss from his position because he has support from the administration of the company.
2 is fine.
1 has a word missing after "senior".

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
2 is fine.
1 has a word missing after "senior".

1. He has been plotting for a long time to oust his colleague from his position and become the senior person of the department.

P.S.
By the way, in Russian language there is one word meaning the whole action of ousting someone from their position. It's "подсиживать". Literally it means that you are aiming at another person's position at work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. He has been plotting for a long time to oust his colleague from his position and become the senior person of in the department.

P.S. By the way, In Russian, language there is one word meaning the whole action of ousting someone from their position. It's "подсиживать". Literally it means that you are aiming at another person's position at work.
Note my changes above. Don't use "PS" and "By the way". They pretty much mean the same in this context. I feel like I'm constantly correcting your "In Russian language". That's wrong. Use either:

In Russian, ...
In the Russian language, ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nor does the first one.
I was interpreting it as meaning "Keep working. I'm going to distract you." Of course, if you're not going to distract me it might be best not to say that. In short, you're right. 😊

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Note my changes above. Don't use "PS" and "By the way". They pretty much mean the same in this context. I feel like I'm constantly correcting your "In Russian language". That's wrong. Use either:

In Russian, ...
In the Russian language, ...

Yes, I know about "In Russian" and "In the Russian language". It was a misprint, sorry... I was a bit in a hurry.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He has been plotting for a long time to oust his colleague from his position and become the senior person of the department.
Let's call them Bill and Bob. Bill has the job. Bob wants it. Bob wants Bill's job.

I probably wouldn't use "oust" unless I was talking about somebody plotting a coup.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You're after the person's job.

Can I say the sentence like this "I've been after my boss's job for a long time until I've found out that he has reliable support from the company's administration. Then I realized that all my actions were useless"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "but" instead of "until".

Why would it be a surprise that he has "reliable support from the company's administration"? He didn't get the job by accident, did he?

Try this:

I was after my boss's job, but then I decided his dad probably wasn't going to fire him.
😊