Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm reading "The story of Black" by John Hobby. I have one question.
It's about a phrase from the book.

" The candle shot would not lose its incremental suspense if shot in black-and-white ㅡ though the yellow of the candle flame is a precious touch of colour. It would be odd, though, if the candle had been in monochrome, to switch to colour for the world in a church, which might then seem too softly nostalgic, when its primary reference is to a yearning for lost things in the shadow of death. "

What does the underlined sentence mean?
I don't understand that meaning. So please tell me the detail.:cry:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If they had switched from black and white to colour for the church scene, it might have been a bit sentimental, and lost something.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm reading "The Story of Black" by John Hobby. I have one question. It's about a phrase from the book.

"The candle shot would not lose its incremental suspense if shot in black-and-white ㅡ though the yellow of the candle flame is a precious touch of colour. It would be odd, though, if the candle had been in monochrome, to switch to colour for the world in a church, which might then seem too softly nostalgic, when its primary reference is to a yearning for lost things in the shadow of death."

What does the underlined sentence mean?
[STRIKE]I don't understand that meaning. So please tell me the detail.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. The previous question is sufficient.

Please note my corrections above. I made the same corrections to another of your posts and you can find the explanation there. Hopefully, I won't have to make the same corrections a third time!

Status
Not open for further replies.