Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is it correct to say "transaction day"?

A: Why haven't I received my salary?
B: Since you submitted your form late, your salary will be processed in the coming transaction day.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I respectfully disagree with my colleague GoesStation. The sentence asked about is correct (except for the preposition in which should be on), although it is not natural in the varieties of English I am familiar with. However, it is pretty easy to imagine contexts in which "transaction day" might be commonly used.

To take an example, Canadian banks used to arbitrarily cut off dating transactions on the current date at 3PM each day. Any transactions that occurred after 3PM were recorded in the bank's books under the date of the following day. So one might plausibly say "The banking transaction day ends at 3PM."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I respectfully disagree with my colleague GoesStation.

I like that. Can I be your colleague too? :)

(I have more to say, but I'm waiting for my favorite radio show to come on. :) )

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most US banks use the same 3:00 p.m. cutoff as Probus mentions. However, the signs advising about funds availability or transactions being recorded usually refer to them being reflected or available on the next business day, rather than transaction day.

That could work for the OP, assuming they process salaries daily, which would be somewhat uncommon. Many business only issue paychecks monthly or bimonthly, so I wonder if something like 'with the next payroll' would work better for the OP. Perhaps the business only hires temporary workers on a daily or short term basis, though.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The processing of the salary is a transaction, so I guess it is logical to call that 'a transaction day' though it is not layman's language . Then again, it is also clear if you just say,"the salary will be processed the next day".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I respectfully disagree with my colleague GoesStation.

I like that. Can I be your colleague too? :)
)

Of course you are already, and a colleague senior to me at that. :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
(I have more to say, but I'm waiting for my favorite radio station to come on. :) )

May I ask which is your favorite radio station? Maybe I can get it on my TuneInRadioPro app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Most US banks use the same 3:00 p.m. cutoff as Probus mentions. However, the signs advising about funds availability or transactions being recorded usually refer to them being reflected or available on the next business day, rather than transaction day.

That could work for the OP, assuming they process salaries daily, which would be somewhat uncommon. Many business only issue paychecks monthly or bimonthly, so I wonder if something like 'with the next payroll' would work better for the OP. Perhaps the business only hires temporary workers on a daily or short term basis, though.

I agree with GS.

The words I have underlined are very unnatural. I would not know which day was being referred to.

Yes, the company releases salary twice a month, in the middle and at the end of the month. And A submitted his form late so the salary could not be released in the middle of the month and need to release it at the end of the month.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would expect either "business day" or "working day". I have never seen, and nor do I like, "transaction day".

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Transaction day" is certainly not a word used in British banks and a payroll department would be most unlikely to reply in that way.

A natural reply would be "your salary will be processed in time for next pay day".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"Transaction day" is certainly not a word used in British banks and a payroll department would be most unlikely to reply in that way.

A natural reply would be "your salary will be processed in time for next pay day".
ah, pay day! Right, because sometimes people may get the salary a week later.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, pay day! Right, because sometimes people may get their salary a week later.

I'm not sure that's really what you meant in post #1 though. Salaries are usually paid monthly, not weekly. Your original post suggested that the missing money would be paid on the next day that it's possible to carry out a banking transaction. That's a very different scenario.

Bob: I've just checked my pay that went into the bank on September the thirtieth, and it looks like you forgot to pay me for Sunday the seventeenth of September.
Helen (works in the payroll department): Goodness me! You're right. I'm so sorry. It's too late for the money to get to your account today but if I transfer it now, it should be in your account on the next business/working day. It should be there tomorrow.
Bob: Great. Thanks.

Bob: I've just checked my pay that went into the bank on September the thirtieth, and it looks like you forgot to pay me for Sunday the seventeenth of September.
Helen: Goodness me! You're right. I'm so sorry. I can't do a bank transfer, I'm afraid. The best I can do is make sure that the pay for that day is included in your next month's pay, so you'll get it on October the thirty-first.
Bob: OK, thanks. I'll try to remember to check that it's there at the end of the month.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm not sure that's really what you meant in post #1 though. Salaries are usually paid monthly, not weekly. Your original post suggested that the missing money would be paid on the next day that it's possible to carry out a banking transaction. That's a very different scenario.

Helen (works in the payroll department): Goodness me! You're right. I'm so sorry. It's too late for the money to get to your account today but if I transfer it now, it should be in your account on the next business/working day. It should be there tomorrow.
Bob: Great. Thanks.

Helen: Goodness me! You're right. I'm so sorry. I can't do a bank transfer, I'm afraid. The best I can do is make sure that the pay for that day is included in your next month's pay, so you'll get it on October the thirty-first.
Bob: OK, thanks. I'll try to remember to check that it's there at the end of the month.
I explained a little bit further for the scenario in post#10. Actually the company pays twice a month which are in the middle and at the end of the month so if people miss the first pay day in that month then they have to wait until the next. I think I misunderstood the meaning of "coming" because I thought it could mean "the next" and not necessarily tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I ask which is your favorite radio station? Maybe I can get it on my TuneInRadioPro app.

I meant to say "my favorite radio show". (I edited the original.)

I'll PM you with the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.