Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is ''traveling'' and ''traveled'' correct spelling? In British English English the correct forms are ''travelled'' and ''travelling'' but are the other two forms acceptable in American English?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes — and the same goes for most other verbs ending -el (but not -eel).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not followed religiously, but the rule in American English is that you double the final consonant when adding -ed or -ing to single-syllable verbs ending in a vowel plus a consonant but not multiple-syllable verbs with an unstressed final syllable.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Are ''traveling'' and ''traveled'' the correct spelling? In British English the correct forms are ''travelled'' and ''travelling,'' but are the other two forms acceptable in American English?
Yes, indeed.

Just checked my Webster's to be sure. Both are used, but the single L forms come first.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to supply software to a branch of the travel industry. I always used traveled, traveling, canceled, and canceling, but my clients (all American) tended to double the Ls.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not that I expect people to care much about what we do in little old Canada, but we double those Ls just as they do in BrE. It must be a hangover from our colonial history because in most respects our English is AmE.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not that I expect people to care much about what we do in little old Canada, but we double those Ls just as they do in BrE. It must be a hangover from our colonial history because in most respects our English is AmE.
It may be mostly American, but it's British-coloured. ;-)

Canadian spelling is often described as midway between American and British.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to supply software to a branch of the travel industry. I always used traveled, traveling, canceled, and canceling, but my clients (all American) tended to double the Ls.
And we're always right and we never lie.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
It's not followed religiously, but the rule in American English is that you double the final consonant when adding -ed or -ing to single-syllable verbs ending in a vowel plus a consonant but not multiple-syllable verbs with an unstressed final syllable.
I would add: unless using a single letter would give the preceding vowel wrong the wrong sound. So "kidnaped" is wrong, because it requires a double "p" to retain the correct vowel sound.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I would add: unless using a single letter would give the preceding vowel wrong the wrong sound. So "kidnaped" is wrong, because it requires a double "p" to retain the correct vowel sound.

I thought the final consonant is doubled only when the [FONT=&quot]final syllable is stressed in speech as it is explained here and shown in ''[/FONT][FONT=&quot]beGIN,'' ''preFER''[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]https://speakspeak.com/resources/en...C7XE0x856mFbotmF4q7jVawjSND58w3iOMxlAU8IMCfJw

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought the final consonant is doubled only when the final syllable is stressed in speech as it is explained here and shown in ''beGIN,'' ''preFER''
Yes, that's the general rule. Two tendencies of English spelling conflict here. If you spell it canceled, a pronunciation tendency tells the reader to lengthen the first "e" and say "can-sealed". If you spell it cancelled, another tendency tells the reader to pronounce the "e" correctly but to incorrectly stress the second syllable. British publishers avoid the first problem; American publishers generally choose to avoid the second. I think the British adhere to their rule more consistently than Americans do to theirs.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, that's the general rule. Two tendencies of English spelling conflict here. If you spell it canceled, a pronunciation tendency tells the reader to lengthen the first "e" and say "can-sealed". If you spell it cancelled, another tendency tells the reader to pronounce the "e" correctly but to incorrectly stress the second syllable. British publishers avoid the first problem; American publishers generally choose to avoid the second. I think the British adhere to their rule more consistently than Americans do to theirs.

Then the article should add the verb "kidnap" as an exception. As it added "cancel" and "prefer".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then the article should add the verb "kidnap" as an exception. As it added "cancel" and "prefer".
"Prefer" isn't an exception. It's stressed on its final syllable.

I'm not sure the article is correct to label "cancel" and "prefer" as exceptions in British English. I thought doubling final consonants was a general rule over there. I've been wrong once, though, and it's possible I was wrong about that, too. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Prefer" isn't an exception, anyway. It's stressed on its final syllable, so its participles require doubled consonants in any variety of English.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
We do not normally double the final consonant if the second syllable is unstressed - except when the final consonant is l. There are quite a few of these.

I meant ''kidnap'' is an exception, isn't it?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.