Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello. I used to have good english speaking skills but for some time now my speaking skills have taken a significant nosedive due to a lack of practicing. Now Im down to being an elemantary level speaker. What aggravates me and discourages me further is that my "active" writing vocabulary is decent yet for the life of me I cant seem to transpose it to my speaking vocabulary. When I speak Im often at a loss for words and/or constantly wind up using the same words. What should I do considering that in the present context I mostly can practice speaking english with myself? Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. There is no need for a greeting. Just go ahead with your question.

I used to have good spoken/oral English speaking skills but for some time now my speaking skills they have taken a significant nosedive due to a lack of practicing practice.

Now I'm down back to being an elementary-level speaker.

What aggravates me and discourages me further is that my "active" writing written vocabulary is decent yet for the life of me I can't seem to transpose it to my speaking spoken vocabulary.

When I speak, I'm often at a loss for words and/or constantly wind up using the same words.

What should I do considering that, in the at present, context I mostly can practice speaking English only with by myself?

Thank you. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
Please note my corrections and comments above. You definitely need to find the apostrophe key on your keyboard!

Given that you live in a bilingual country, I find it surprising that you can't find native English speakers to chat to! Don't you study or work with anyone whose primary language is English? Aren't there any social clubs you can join locally where you would get to chat in English?

sporcheron

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello. I'm sorry to have disturbed you. I now see that I'm worst than I previously thought. Some people told me that my written skills were ok but it was only to avoid hurting my feelings. I will take your suggestions into account though I feel like it's probably better I give up. If I keep trying I'll simply make a fool out of myself. Good day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. I'm sorry to have disturbed you.
No apology is necessary. You haven't disturbed anyone.
I now see that I'm worst worse than I previously thought.
Study the difference between "worse" and "worst".
Some people told me that my written skills were ok OK/okay but it was only to avoid hurting my feelings.
In the middle of a sentence, use either "OK" or "okay". At the start of a sentence, use either "OK" or "Okay". We never write "ok".
I will take your suggestions into account though I feel like it's probably better I give up. If I keep trying, I'll simply make a fool out of myself.
Don't give up (unless you really don't have any interest in regaining your English abilities).