Two months ago, after graduated from high school ...

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. Two months ago, after graduating from high school, I was given a gold watch by my grandfather.
2. Two months ago, after graduated from high school, I got a gold watch from my grandfather.
(quoted from Ho's Complete English Grammar, Book V, page 66)
#1 is supposed to be correct. #2 sounds odd to me. Is #2 acceptable to native speakers?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For #2, you need to say:

Two months ago, after I graduated from high school....

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
For #2, you need to say:

Two months ago, after I graduated from high school....
I was taught that "I was graduated from high school" is also possible in American English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@sitifan I have never heard anybody say it that way.

I suppose I could talk to my usage consultant.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
2. Two months ago, after graduated from high school, I got a gold watch from my grandfather.

Are we really to believe that Mr Ho is presenting this as a grammatically correct sentence? That's what you seem to be implying here. Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in transcription?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are we really to believe that Mr Ho is presenting this as a grammatically correct sentence? That's what you seem to be implying here. Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in transcription?
I am sure I haven't made a mistake in transcription.
Mr. Ho's analysis is as follows:
1. Two months ago, after graduating from high school (=after he graduated from high school), I was given a gold watch by my grandfather.
2. Two months ago, after graduated from high school (=after he was graduated from high school), I got a gold watch from my grandfather.
Mr. Ho thinks that the conjunctions when, after, and before can be followed by either a present participle or a past participle. But I think that the conjunctions after, and before cannot be followed by either a present participle or a past participle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am sure I haven't made a mistake in transcription.
Mr. Ho's analysis is as follows:
1. Two months ago, after graduating from high school (=after he graduated from high school), I was given a gold watch by my grandfather.
2. Two months ago, after graduated from high school (=after he was graduated from high school), I got a gold watch from my grandfather.
Mr. Ho thinks that the conjunctions when, after, and before can be followed by either a present participle or a past participle. But I think that the conjunctions after, and before cannot be followed by either a present participle or a past participle.
Mr Ho is wrong, at least about that particular sentence. "After graduated" cannot be used.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's very hard for me to believe that Mr Ho could be so wrong and still manage to get a book published.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But I think that the conjunctions after, and before cannot be followed by either a present participle or a past participle.

You can follow with a present participle (gerund), yes. Sentence #1 is perfectly correct. If you think of after/when/before as prepositions, then you can follow the rule: preposition + -ing.

But you can't follow with a past participle. The exception is with 'when', which can:

Two months ago, when graduated from high school, I got a gold watch from my grandfather.

I don't like this sentence, but it's grammatical.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@sitifan My usage consultant doesn't charge me anything. It works out well for me.
😊

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is Ho a speaker of Mandarin? I think that might explain his uncertainty about participles. 2 would be OK.
' Two months ago, after graduating from high school, I got a gold watch from my grandfather.'
(Some mavens might prefer 'after having graduated', but the context makes it clear that the action is perfect.)

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
PS I've often heard this odd usage of the past participle in otherwise competent speakers.

Are you referring to usage with a past participle after 'after'? I'd love to see an authentic (and non-Hoian) example of use.