Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. They could both come close to something else.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It could be and it could not be. How can we tell without knowing the meaning or context?

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
It could be and it could not be. How can we tell without knowing the meaning or context?

I think you do this on purpose. How much more clear can I be? 'Two people come close to each other'! Super clear! Redundant
or not? Is this some obsession with some rule? At troll forums, I got much more help than what you and WordReference give
me. Why did you become like that?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't think that's fair. Jutfrank was not being unhelpful with that reply. He was simply saying that more context is needed to allow us to give you a useful answer.

I actually find the sentence in question rather unnatural (with or without "to each other").

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For a start, 99bottles, "come close to" has more than one meaning. Without knowing which meaning you're after (by giving us context), it's hard for us to say whether your sentence is the correct one for the situation.

You can keep asking us if your sentences are grammatically correct but it's not going to help you with your usage of such sentences.

If someone asks us if "This dog is black" is correct, we can tell them that it is grammatically correct but if that user goes on to say it when standing some distance away from a white cat, it would not be the correct sentence for the situation. They would need "That cat is white". The situation dictates what the correct thing to say is.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you do this on purpose. How much more clear can I be? 'Two people come close to each other'! Super clear! Redundant
or not? Is this some obsession with some rule? At troll forums, I got much more help than what you and WordReference give

With the sentence as it is, the meaning is really not clear. Obviously your English is not good enough to realise that.

The two main questions I'm asking myself are:

1) What do you mean by close? Physically? Emotionally?
2) Why are you using come? Do you mean 'approach'? Or do you mean 'move closer'?

If the answer to 1) is 'emotionally', then the answer to your question is yes. And if the answer is 'physically', then the answer to your question is possibly not.

If the answer to 2) is that you mean 'approach', then the answer to your question is no.

Do you see how the lack of meaning disallows us from giving you a straight answer?

(By the way I've just spent ten minutes writing this. I hope you're not ungrateful of the unpaid time we spend trying to help you.)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

Firstly, it is not 'super clear', as all the answers you have received since this outburst have explained.

Secondly if, for the sake of argument, we assume that it actually is super clear, then once you remove, 'to each other' it becomes super murky. So, no, it is not redundant.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I don't think that's fair. Jutfrank was not being unhelpful with that reply. He was simply saying that more context is needed to allow us to give you a useful answer.

I actually find the sentence in question rather unnatural (with or without "to each other").

Even when I give you as much context as possible, all I get is wisecracks, as you can see here...

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/261314-Which-of-those-sentences-need-the/page2

I'm tired of your silly games. I think my questions are super clear, yet you don't answer because I don't give you a sentence,
because I don't write the sentence BOTH in the title AND in the OP, because I don't give you context etc, and, even when I
do all that, all I get is wisecracks from troll members that would have been IP banned anywhere else yet they're VIP here.
You have dispappointed me. I can't waste my time with such childish behaviour.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
With the sentence as it is, the meaning is really not clear. Obviously your English is not good enough to realise that.

The two main questions I'm asking myself are:

1) What do you mean by close? Physically? Emotionally?
2) Why are you using come? Do you mean 'approach'? Or do you mean 'move closer'?

If the answer to 1) is 'emotionally', then the answer to your question is yes. And if the answer is 'physically', then the answer to your question is possibly not.

If the answer to 2) is that you mean 'approach', then the answer to your question is no.

Do you see how the lack of meaning disallows us from giving you a straight answer?

(By the way I've just spent ten minutes writing this. I hope you're not ungrateful of the unpaid time we spend trying to help you.)

You could have said in the first place: 'If you mean it literally, it's not redundant. If you mean it figuratively, it is redundant'. It would have
taken you 20 seconds and you would have helped me instead of forcing me to play these silly games for 48 hours and crippling my mental
capability of working.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You have dispappointed me. I can't waste my time with such childish behaviour.

If you decide to leave us, you won't be missed. We'll be able to spend more time answering people who are more appreciative of our efforts.

Clicking on the symbol after your Post Thanks/Like record, I see that after 90 posts you've given 10 Thanks and no Likes.

I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
99bottles: I can guarantee you that neither jutfrank nor any other member on the forum was trying to be unhelpful or in any other way silly with their replies to your posts. Also, the admins and moderators here would not tolerate any behaviour intended to make fun of someone on the forum.

You are of course free to leave, but we would not be glad to see you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.