[Grammar] Two questions: 1) Stop doing that 2) About nouns and present simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about other sentences like "This week"(Similar phrases)?

Well, "this week" is not a sentence. Also, if you have any more questions I suggest you start a new thread. (Let's avoid confusion if we can.)
:)

When do we use "that" or "this"?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Mr. Smith: Are you taking my sweet daughter Mona to a movie again tonight?
James: Yes, sir.
Mr. Smith: I have noticed that every time you take her out, you bring her home after 9 p.m. That is too late. I want you to stop that.
James: Yes, sir. I will stop that. From now on, she will be home before 9 p.m.

Teacher: Go to the chalkboard and write "I must behave myself" until I tell you to stop.
Naughty boy (after he has finished writing for 15 minutes): Excuse me, ma'am, but when can I stop doing this?
Teacher: Keep writing until I tell you that you can stop doing that / it!

James

Last edited:
So can I say, When we know the action/subject, we use "that?"
(I took the idea from E.X#1)

What about him: Teacher: Go to the chalkboard and write "I must behave myself" until I tell you to stop.
Naughty boy (after he has finished writing for 15 minutes): Excuse me, ma'am, but when can I stop doing this?

The Naughty boy could use the sentence: But when can I stop doing that?
Because everyone knows what he is doing(needs to write).

Thanks

So can I say, When we know the action/subject, we use "that?"
(I took the idea from E.X#1)

What about him: Teacher: Go to the chalkboard and write "I must behave myself" until I tell you to stop.
Naughty boy (after he has been writing for 15 minutes): Excuse me, ma'am, but when can I stop doing this?

That's right.

The Naughty boy could use the sentence: But when can I stop doing that?
Because everyone knows what he is doing(needs to write).

I don't know why he would say that. Nor do I understand the reasoning. I suggest that once you find the right way to say something that you stop looking.

Hello, I didn't give you a response because It's very difficult for me to understand the fuente, So I am trying to think about the idea. How can I know if to use that or this when what we are talking about isn't tangible object?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, I didn't give you a response because It's very difficult for me to understand the fuente, So I am trying to think about the idea.

I am pretty sure that the post I am responding to is a response. Also, isn't "fuente" Spanish?

How can I know if to use that or this when what we are talking about isn't a tangible object?

To put it simply:

this -- near
that -- far​

Hello, fuente= main point. Google Translate translated from Hebrew to English. Not always he does it correctly.

If we use the sentence of Shakespeare: "To be or not to be, that is the question!"
How can I know if to use that? because we don't see the things in our eyes.

Hello, fuente= main point. Google Translate translated from Hebrew to English. Not always he does it correctly.

To use a sentence from Shakespeare: "To be or not to be, that is the question!"
How can I know when to use that? Because we don't see the things in our eyes.

I can't make a rule for you that would be good for every instance. However, you should remember how important context is.

I can't make a rule for you that would be good for every instance. However, you should remember how important context is.
Thank you. Can you please help me with my problem?

You should have made some progress by now. Is the question still about "this" and "that"?
:-|

Ron: I have been doing this all day.
Bob: Stop doing that for a while, and rest.

Teacher (to naughty boy): Stop doing that, Jimmy!
Boy: Stop doing what? (He's been pulling a little girl's pigtails.)
Teacher: You know what you're doing, and if you don't stop I'm going to have to send you to the principal's office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob: Jim got another speeding ticket.
Ray: If he doesn't stop doing that he might get his license suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back