unless it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed unless it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities.

I think there is something fishy about the remaining part of the sentence, namely, "unless it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities".

In my opinion, it should read "unless it endangers safety of the vessel or harbour facilities" or "unless it endangered safety of the vessel or harbour facilities".

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed unless it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities.

I think the problem does not lie in the word "endanger", but rather, the conjunction "unless".

It would make sense if it is rewritten as follows:

Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed. If not, it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities.

or

Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed, or it would endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have always learnt that "unless" is followed by present tense.

How about "Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed unless it endangers safety of the vessel or harbour facilities" = "Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed if it doesn't endanger safety of the vessel or harbour facilities"?

The sense is still maintained.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not clear whether it is meant to refer to maneuvers or low speed. A careful reader would choose the latter because maneuvers would require they, but I think you should revise the sentence so its meaning is clear on the first reading.

How about Such mooring manoeuvres should, however, be performed at low speed unless the safety of the vessel or harbour facilities requires a higher speed.

I'm guessing that low speed is a defined term in the context. If it isn't, other wording is possible.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please check with native speakers.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am really sorry about my mistake and it was not my intention to offend you. No offence intended.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Ted. I don't see how operating at a higher speed could be safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.