Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Did you know that the word "quarantine" has a fascinating journey through history before it became a common term in our modern vocabulary, especially highlighted during the global pandemic? My curiosity led me to uncover its origins, and what I found was both intriguing and enlightening.

The story begins in the 14th century, during the time of the Black Death, a devastating plague that swept through Europe, Asia, and Africa. As the disease ravaged populations, cities and ports sought ways to prevent its spread. The solution they found was in the form of isolation. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice was believed to be sufficient time to determine if the plague was present on the ship. The Italian term "quaranta giorni," meaning "forty days," was used to describe this period. From this phrase, the word "quarantine" was born.

What fascinates me most about "quarantine" is not just its historical significance but how it reflects human resilience and ingenuity in the face of adversity. The term encapsulates a collective memory of survival, a testament to our ancestors' determination to protect their communities. It's a word that has carried through centuries, evolving in meaning yet still holding its core essence of isolation for the sake of health and safety.

Today, "quarantine" is a term we're all too familiar with, not just as a historical concept but as a lived reality. Its story reminds me that language is not just a tool for communication but a living archive of human history, bearing the imprints of our collective experiences and struggles.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I suggest a change in the text?

Anna_shi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Your English is superb, Anna_shi. It's a joy to read. Have you had any help with this?

Do you want to be a writer?
Thank you but no😅

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
absolutely!
Well, you didn't ask for advice, but that's what we do here. At first I was going to suggest using"is" instead of "was" (first paragraph). Now I think you should put a period after "origins".

I don't think there is such a thing as collective memory, but probably nobody else is even going to give that a second thought. Otherwise, it's perfect.

The Black Death occurred, of course, before the discovery of penicillin, which would have made a huge difference had it been available.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Black Death occurred, of course, before the discovery of penicillin, which would have made a huge difference had it been available.

Apparently, that wouldn't have helped!

Screenshot 2024-03-02 135002.png

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Penicillin certainly would have helped a lot in the 14th century. The bacteria which caused the Black Death have since developed resistance so it wouldn't be very effective in today's world, but still a lot better than bloodletting.

The technological development (if you want to call it that) of quarantining and germ theory was a huge step forward in medicine, on a par I'd argue with the discovery of antibiotics.

Rotgold

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Did you know that the word "quarantine" has a fascinating journey through history before it became a common term in our modern vocabulary, especially highlighted during the global pandemic? My curiosity led me to uncover its origins, and what I found was both intriguing and enlightening.

The story begins in the 14th century, during the time of the Black Death, a devastating plague that swept through Europe, Asia, and Africa. As the disease ravaged populations, cities and ports sought ways to prevent its spread. The solution they found was in the form of isolation. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice was believed to be sufficient time to determine if the plague was present on the ship. The Italian term "quaranta giorni," meaning "forty days," was used to describe this period. From this phrase, the word "quarantine" was born.

What fascinates me most about "quarantine" is not just its historical significance but how it reflects human resilience and ingenuity in the face of adversity. The term encapsulates a collective memory of survival, a testament to our ancestors' determination to protect their communities. It's a word that has carried through centuries, evolving in meaning yet still holding its core essence of isolation for the sake of health and safety.

Today, "quarantine" is a term we're all too familiar with, not just as a historical concept but as a lived reality. Its story reminds me that language is not just a tool for communication but a living archive of human history, bearing the imprints of our collective experiences and struggles.
yes …. fas cinating!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. That's fascinating!
Welcome to the forum, @Rotgold.

Please note my corrections above. All sentences must start with a capital letter. Even a single-word sentence such as "Yes" must end with a closing punctuation mark.
A string of four dots with spaces between them is not used in written English. If you need to use an ellipsis, start with a space, then three dots without spaces, then a space, then the next word.