Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Lila Mae sees Chancre swallowing the super's hands with his oversized mitts in faltering camaraderie. It takes a long time to become a politician, but he was born with the smile. You can't fake smiles like that. Nice building you got here, chum. Nice to see a man who takes pride in his craft. Sometimes you walk into these places, you never know what you're going to see, bless my heart. You want to say to yourself, how can people live like this, but then we are all dealt differently and you have to play what you're dealt. Back home, we . . . He gave 125 Walker a clean bill. Lots on his mind, lots on his mind.

This is from Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist.
I guess the bolded sentences are what Chancre is usually saying.
But then, I wonder why the author didn't put them in the double quotation marks, here.
Is it okay to write quotes without quotation marks if people can recognize them as quotes?

You can see more excerpt here.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Ask yourself if a load of quotes would have enhanced your reading or understanding.

Rules are mere guides. Don't take them too seriously. The important thing is to communicate.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Just to follow up on this, it could be said that the presentation is a little unclear. Can we be certain these quotes are one per sentence? They are as it happens.

"Nice building you got here, chum". "Nice to see a man who takes pride in his craft". "Sometimes you walk into these places, you never know what you're going to see, bless my heart". "You want to say to yourself, how can people live like this, but then we are all dealt differently and you have to play what you're dealt". "Back home, we . . ." He gave 125 Walker a clean bill. Lots on his mind, lots on his mind.

I'm beginning to think there may be a case for quotes. However, I think it looks messy. I'd prefer bullet points.

I read it the first time and understood what the author was trying to convey. I'm sure we will get a few more opinions soon.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it okay to write quotes without quotation marks if people can recognize them as quotes?
It's fine as long as the fragment stands out. Quotation marks are just one of the many ways to do that. Look at this forum, for instance. It puts quotes in a grey box, like the one at the top of my post. This makes it stand out and helps the reader realize these aren't my own words, but a quote. It fulfills its purpose.

In theory, you can use whatever you want as long as you remain consistent and it's relatively easy for the reader to understand your intention. However, it's much simpler for both the writer and the reader to just use what's already firmly established. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, you know. Everyone already understands what quotation marks are and what they're used for. Why not just use them if they're already there?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of putting quotes in bold because that's very commonly used for emphasis. There's a potential misunderstanding as to why the text's put in bold because of that, and besides, it alters how the letters look, which isn't something my bad eyesight would appreciate.

I do understand why some people might not want to use quotation marks, though. They're pretty bad at communicating that a portion of the text is a quote when the quote is very long. The reader might get lost in the text if the only clue they have is a symbol, hidden in a plethora of letters and punctuation marks. It's easier to realize which portion is a quote, especially when just skimming the text, when it's formatted like this...
Lila Mae sees Chancre swallowing the super's hands with his oversized mitts in faltering camaraderie. It takes a long time to become a politician, but he was born with the smile. You can't fake smiles like that. Nice building you got here, chum. Nice to see a man who takes pride in his craft. Sometimes you walk into these places, you never know what you're going to see, bless my heart. You want to say to yourself, how can people live like this, but then we are all dealt differently and you have to play what you're dealt. Back home, we . . . He gave 125 Walker a clean bill. Lots on his mind, lots on his mind.
...than when it's formatted like that...
Lila Mae sees Chancre swallowing the super's hands with his oversized mitts in faltering camaraderie. It takes a long time to become a politician, but he was born with the smile. You can't fake smiles like that. "Nice building you got here, chum. Nice to see a man who takes pride in his craft. Sometimes you walk into these places, you never know what you're going to see, bless my heart. You want to say to yourself, how can people live like this, but then we are all dealt differently and you have to play what you're dealt. Back home, we . . ." He gave 125 Walker a clean bill. Lots on his mind, lots on his mind.
...but in the end, there's probably an even better way to do this, but my post's already long enough, so I'll leave it off here.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, Lila May isn't exactly giving us a direct quote from Chancre. She's just kind of mentally reporting on the stock phrases Chancre seems to use. It's not one conversation, but a series of phrases he seems to recycle as part of his political act.

I doubt his position is actually an elected one - we're referring more to office politics here, although perhaps he aspires to be a "real" politician.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is from Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist. You can see more excerpts here.

I guess the bolded sentences are what Chancre is usually saying says. But then, I wonder, why didn't the author didn't put them in the double quotation marks no comma here here? Is it okay to write quotes without quotation marks if people can recognize them as quotes?

Note my changes above. There is no need to write every sentence on a new line. Divide them into logical paragraphs. The source information should be on its own line, with an empty line after it, although I've moved your final sentence to the same line because it was clearly linked to the source. The rest of your sentences should have been put together to make a paragraph.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence should really be three sentences, and the whole thing should be at least two paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.