college / go to college (usage of the term "college")

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Today I was discussing some of university affairs and my activities at the university where I work and I decided to look up the word "college" to find out what else it means. I've also studied this term at school (my school was with extensive learning of English), but maybe You will make some corrections.

I've made up a few sentences myself:

1. He studied at college at the faculty of Business and Economics and after graduation was accepted in the team of professors (I suppose "college" here means "institute" as we used to call them in Russia. There used to be only one major University in each city or town and all other educational institutions were called "institutes". Now it has changed and we call almost all educational institutions "universities"). Students enter colleges after graduation from school.

2. College in Britain can mean one of the types of universities.

3. In the US some faculties can be called "colleges" like "College of Law" or "College of Mathematics and Physics".

4. I can also say that "I'm going to college" if I'm going to a university. Also, we can say "He is returning from college at about 2 pm" if he is coming home from the university at about 2 pm.

Are these usages correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think in British English they use "university" more often.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
OK. What about American English?

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We use "college" more often.

Do You use it to speak about a faculty at a university or the word "college" in AE can mean "University" and I can go to college (= go to university) in the US?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We say "I go to college at UNC," for example. (The U in UNC stands for "university".)

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We say "I go to college at UNC," for example. (The U in UNC stands for "university".)

Does UNC mean "University of North Carolina"?
The whole phrase implies that you go to the University of North Carolina (one educational institution), right?
Or does it mean that you're attending a separate college included in the University of North Carolina?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I say I go to UNC I'm not implying anything. That's where I'm enrolled and where I attend classes.

Go Tar Heels!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, universities are typically larger institutions offering both graduate and undergraduate. Colleges are smaller institutions which typically offer only undergraduate degrees, and often only offer two year associate degrees. For example, community colleges, technical schools, and liberal arts colleges would never be referred to as universities.

A university may be comprised of several separate colleges - for example the college of engineering, the college of business, college of law, etc.

That being said college is the general colloquial term more widely used. You're more likely to hear someone speak of where they went to college, even if they technically attended a university.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the US, universities are typically larger institutions offering both graduate and undergraduate. Colleges are smaller institutions which typically offer only undergraduate degrees, and often only offer two year associate degrees. For example, community colleges, technical schools, and liberal arts colleges would never be referred to as universities.

A university may be comprised of several separate colleges - for example the college of engineering, the college of business, college of law, etc.

That being said college is the general colloquial term more widely used. You're more likely to hear someone speak of where they went to college, even if they technically attended a university.

I think I've got it now. Thanks! Also, I suspected that colleges were smaller. In Russia we also have them, but they're not as popular as they're in America and probably other countries as well. For example, we have colleges training cooks, carpenters and plumbers, etc. They're not regarded as prestigious institutions, but people who enter them and study there eventually get a profession and know how and where to apply the skills they've acquired. In Russia you usually enter a college after you finish the 9th form, so at the age of 14 or 15.

Our Universities can also be comprised of different colleges called faculties. I graduated from the faculty of Radio Engineering and Telecommunication and defended a PhD at the faculty of Computer Science and Technology. These faculties/colleges are part of the University where I studied from 2003 till 2009.

May I ask one more question not related to the thread (I don't know where else I can ask it): How can I write a private message to a forum participant? I don't see the button "Send a private message" anywhere.

P.S. Oh, I think I've just found it. The button is called "Start conversation".

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a couple of ways. One is to tap/click on the letter icon at the top of the page

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
British students use ‘uni’ more often.
Thanks for this comment!
By the way, in Russian we also have a shortened version of the word meaning 'University'.