Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The use of the word "training" is not understood by me. "Training" is defined as "the process of learning the skills you need to do a particular job or activity" (Cambridge Dictionary) and the process of rescuing can't the process of training (training can't really be ruthless).

What does "use all of its special forces training and skills" mean then? Does it actually mean "use all of its special forces trained skills"?

========================

Special Forces
soldiers on a suicide mission.

The hunt is on...for an American woman being held hostage by a ruthless killer. And there's on;ly one team that can find her before it's too late-the Special Forces. Now time is running out and this team must use all of its special forces training and skills...or the consequences will mean certain death.

Source: the DVD introduction of the film Special Forces

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are trained for missions like this. And it is is time to put the skills to work that their training has taught them.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So it should have been use all of its special forces trained skills rather than use all of its special forces training and skills? (Because "trained skills" mean "skills abtained by training")

Using "training" appears to imply that the process of training is still underway when they carry out the suicide mission.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is no such thing as "trained skills" though it seems to mean "the skills that they are trained for". "Make use of/exploit the training and skills of its special forces" is a more natural thing to say.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no such thing as "trained skills"

I don't know where you have got this message from.

"Trained skills" is a phrase well used in English which means skills at expertise level through training. The special forces apply the expertise on the mission.

The question of "training" remains as it is.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here, training refers to the skills that have been acquired from the training course.

This is a very common meaning/use of the word.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, it doesn't.

See my edited sentence. Sorry for the misspelling:

Using "training" appears to imply that the process of training is still underway when they carry out the suicide mission.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No, it doesn't. If a fairly new teacher came to me and said "I can't control my class. What do you suggest?", my response would be "What did you learn during your teacher training?" I think the "-ing" might be throwing you off. In the sentence in question, both "training" and "skills" are nouns.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The use of the word "training" is not understood by me.
Native English-speakers don't use sentences like that. It looks like the unlikely answer to an exercise for changing the active 'I don't understand the use of the word "training"' to the passive'.

Status
Not open for further replies.