Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you please explain the use and meaning of "for" in this sentence? I have look up the use of "for" in some dictionaries but I think seeing your explanations would be much better than that. The example is self-made.

Lhasa, the capital city of Tibet, is a holy place for Buddhists.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
suiting the purposes or needs of:
medicine for the aged.
(Collins)

Last edited by a moderator:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If you made up the sentence, you presumably know what you meant. Why do you need our explanation of a word you have used correctly yourself?

Because, even though I can use a word properly, I can't explain myself its all aspects. So such questions should not be considered ridiculous or meaningless.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Because, even though I can use a word properly, I can't explain myself its all aspects.

But if you can use it correctly, why do you need to explain it to yourself at all? You can't do that for all Turkish words, can you?

In this case, for has a sense of something like 'in the eyes of'. We use it in this way to show that different people see things in different ways. For Buddhists, Lhasa is a holy city, but for other people, it's nothing more than a tourist destination, for others, it's home, etc.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
1. But if you can use it correctly, why do you need to explain it to yourself at all?

2. You can't do that for all Turkish words, can you?

1. First, thank you for the explanation. Second, because I like categorizing and discerning between things, including words.

2. No, I can. Why not? This is process of learning. I love matching Turkish words with English correpondings, and I want precise matchings. I know this might be terribly difficult but I have been doing this, have taken many steps, and have handled many of them so far.

But do not assume me a lexicographer, a semantic or someone who is a professional in language. I simply learn words, grammar etc for learning.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I love matching Turkish words with English correpondings, and I want precise matchings. I know this might be terribly difficult but I have been doing this, have taken many steps, and have handled many of them so far.

Okay, but sometimes this actually impedes your learning.

But do not assume me a lexicographer, a semantic or someone who is a professional in language. I simply learn words, grammar etc for learning.

I think I know your learning style very well by now. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because, even though I can use a word properly, I can't explain [STRIKE]myself[/STRIKE] all its [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] aspects, so such questions should not be considered ridiculous or meaningless.

1. First, thank you for the explanation. Second, because I like categorizing and discerning between things, including words.

2. No, I can. I think you meant "No, I can't".

Why not? This is process of learning. I love matching Turkish words with the corresponding English [STRIKE]correspondings[/STRIKE] words, and I want precise [STRIKE]matchings[/STRIKE] matches.

I know this might be terribly difficult but I have been doing this, have taken many steps, and have [STRIKE]handled[/STRIKE] succeeded with many of them so far.

But do not assume [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] that I am a lexicographer, a semantic or someone who is a language professional. [STRIKE]in language.[/STRIKE] I simply learn words, grammar etc for the sake of learning.

Note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above.

Status
Not open for further replies.