Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello

I am little bit confused how can we use did and have.

For example : if somone told some stuff to do without specifying anyone and there are more than 2-3 people present in the house. If one of that members was not present at that moment, who came just 1-2 minutes after all this happened and he was told to do stuff so he angrily yelled at another person:

why haven't you gone? Or why didn't you go?

So I am confused which question would be correct. As it was happened few minutes ago shall I use why didn't you go as it was past or why haven't you gone as it is somewhat related to present .

Can anyone will help me clear my confusion.

Regards,
Ajinkya

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello

I am little bit confused about how can we use did and have.

For example, what if somone said there were things to do without specifying who should do them and there are more than two or three people present in the house but another person arrived two or three minutes after all this happened? He was told to do all of it. So does he angrily yelled at someone "Why haven't you gone?" or "Why didn't you go?"

I am confused about which question is correct.

Both are wrong. No one said anything about going anywhere. Someone said to do some things. Possible responses include:

- "Absolutely not! No way!"
- "Why should I?"
- "I'd be glad to."
- "I'll help if you will, too."
- "Let's all get these things done together."

As it happened a few minutes ago, should I use "Why didn't you go?" as it was in the past or "Why haven't you gone?" as it is somewhat related to present[no space].

Past is past, whether it was a minute ago or a century ago.

Can anyone will help me clear up my confusion?

Regards,
Ajinkya
Welcome, Ajinkya!

You had one long sentence, and it was hard to understand. I guessed at your meaning.

If you ask again with shorter sentences, it will help us. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.