Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please experts which sentence is correct or all are correct. If correct they are interchangeable?

1) Your ridiculing me daily for English shows you to be descendant of teacherX.
OR
1) Your ridiculing me daily for English shows you are descendant of teacherX.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Please experts[/STRIKE] Which sentence is correct or [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] are both correct. If they are correct, [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] are they interchangeable?

1) Your ridiculing me daily for English shows you to be descendant of teacherX. :Cross:
[STRIKE]OR[/STRIKE]
1) Your ridiculing me daily for English shows you are descendant of teacherX. :cross:

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Unfortunately, both sentences are completely incomprehensible. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Can you explain them in a different way?

Please note my corrections in the quote box above.

manishkumar1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Unfortunately, both sentences are completely incomprehensible. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Can you explain them in a different way?

Please note my corrections in the quote box above.

Thank you for correcting me.

I want to know what is the right way to express this :
You are ridiculing me for my poor English daily. It signifies/shows you think about yourself as descendant of some English perfectionist.

1) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you to be descendant of teacherX.
OR
1) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you are descendant of teacherX.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a very unusual way of expressing it. I would say something like:

Every day, you make fun of my English. What are you - a descendant of Shakespeare or someone?!

(Note that even I don't like the wording of mine but I'm struggling to come up with something for a scenario that I can't really imagine happening.)

manishkumar1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please in this context, it is syntactically correct:-

1) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you to be descendant of teacherX.
OR
2) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you are descendant of teacherX

Can It be written like :- You are ridiculing my poor English. Doesn't it show that you think yourself to be descendant of some perfectionist or Shakespeare.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please, in this context, [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] are the following syntactically correct?

1) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you to be descendant of teacherX. No.
[STRIKE]OR[/STRIKE]
2) Your ridiculing me daily for poor English shows you are descendant of teacherX. No.

Can it be written like this?

You are ridiculing my poor English. Doesn't it show that you think yourself [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] as a descendant of some perfectionist or of Shakespeare?

No. People don't think of themselves as being descendants of anyone that they're not actually descended from. If someone was descended from Shakespeare or "some perfectionist" (whatever that is), they would probably know it already. I suppose you could say something like "Who do you think you are? Shakespeare?"

I note that your title says you are looking at the usage of "to be" and "are". Please try and write shorter, more likely, sentences for us to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.