Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
According to this article below in the sentence "When he was at school, he used to play football every Saturday", either "would" or "used to" is correct because it was a repeated action. In Michael Swan's "Practical English Usage" there is an explanation "we use "used to" not "would" to talk about regular and important habitual behaviour:
"Robert used to play a lot of football". (Not Robert would play).
"I used to smoke." (Not would smoke)

Is it wrong to use "would" in Michael Swan's example and in similar examples without "every Saturday" or a similar expression that would make it clear that it's a repeated action?

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it wrong to use "would" in Michael Swan's example and in similar examples without "every Saturday" or a similar expression that would make it clear that it's a repeated action?
When an adverbial clause is involved, "would" in the main clause can itself sometimes make the difference between a one-time and a habitual reading:

(1) While his wife cooked dinner, John read the newspaper.
(2) While his wife cooked dinner, John would read the newspaper.

Without a lot of contextual padding for a habitual interpretation, (1) would naturally be understood as being about one combined past cooking and reading event.

In (2), however, "would" makes it clear that past repetitiveness is involved. (Compare: "In those days, while his wife cooked dinner, John read the newspaper").

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When an adverbial clause is involved, "would" in the main clause can itself sometimes make the difference between a one-time and a habitual reading:

(1) While his wife cooked dinner, John read the newspaper.
(2) While his wife cooked dinner, John would read the newspaper.

Without a lot of contextual padding for a habitual interpretation, (1) would naturally be understood as being about one combined past cooking and reading event.

In (2), however, "would" makes it clear that past repetitiveness is involved. (Compare: "In those days, while his wife cooked dinner, John read the newspaper").
Yes, and that's why using "would" in
"Robert used to play a lot of football". (Not Robert would play).
"I used to smoke." (Not would smoke) would be wrong because there is no repetitiveness involved. Right?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

This sentence is from "English Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy. "He used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day." So in this sentence "would" can be used because "a day" implies repetitiveness. Am I right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The main difference between used to and would is that used to strongly implies he does not smoke any more; would does not suggest this.

He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day needs context to make it work, for example, when he was stressed.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The main difference between used to and would is that used to strongly implies he does not smoke any more; would does not suggest this.

He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day needs context to make it work, for example, when he was stressed.

Can "would" also suggest that the person doesn't smoke or doesn't do something anymore in some contexts? Or does it never suggest that something no longer happens? For example, "He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day when he was stressed" this can happen again. Is this why "would" unlike "used to" doesn't suggest that it is no longer happening?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can "would" also suggest that the person doesn't smoke or doesn't do something anymore in some contexts?
Yes. As a child I would sometimes go the garden and eat worms. If an adult uttered those words, we would assume that they no longer indulged in this practice.
Is this why "would" unlike "used to" doesn't suggest that it is no longer happening?
Would, in itself, has nothing to do with whether or not something still happens.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes. As a child I would sometimes go the garden and eat worms. If an adult uttered those words, we would assume that they no longer indulged in this practice.

Would, in itself, has nothing to do with whether or not something still happens.
I see now.
But why does this article say about similar sentences that the following sentence is ungrammatical? *I would watch cartoons every Saturday morning when I was very little. Now I rarely watch TV.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know why they said that. I don't agree with their comments.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
My humble opinion; I think they suggest that would is correct only after a time frame. But is that true?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
  • *I would watch cartoons every Saturday morning when I was very little. Now I rarely watch TV.
  • When I was little, I would get up and watch cartoons every Saturday morning. Now I rarely watch TV.

They say that the first one is awkward and ungrammatical but that the second is fine. I don't agree.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
  • *I would watch cartoons every Saturday morning when I was very little. Now I rarely watch TV.
  • When I was little, I would get up and watch cartoons every Saturday morning. Now I rarely watch TV.

They say that the first one is awkward and ungrammatical but that the second is fine. I don't agree.
So mentioning a time frame first, isn't necessary, is it? As a standalone sentence, a sentence with "would" can work. I mean their first sentence. Right?

You said He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day needs context to make it work, for example, when he was stressed. But it's different from their sentence which they say is wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that the first sentence (I would watch cartoons every Saturday morning when I was very little) is acceptable.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I think that the first sentence (I would watch cartoons every Saturday morning when I was very little) is acceptable.
So is "He would smoke 40 cigarettes when he was stressed." And "When he was stressed he would smoke 40 cigarettes." Is aslo correct. The time frame first. As they say in that article. Am I right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I think that page is badly explained.

For me, a crucial part of the use of would, which used to doesn't have, is the sense that the past habit is in some sense characteristic of the performer of the action. In other words, it expresses tendency. I think this is why it isn't used with stative verbs.

I'm desperately trying to understand what the writer is thinking with the 'watching cartoons' examples. I'm guessing it's that she believes that introducing the utterance with the time frame (When I was little) better affords it to be read as an expression of tendency, given that the sentence is out of context. I don't know.

In any case, Rachel Adams, I suggest you give up completely on this idea of putting the time frame first. It's unhelpful and it's obviously confusing you.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I think that page is badly explained.

For me, a crucial part of the use of would, which used to doesn't have, is the sense that the past habit is in some sense characteristic of the performer of the action. In other words, it expresses tendency. I think this is why it isn't used with stative verbs.

I'm desperately trying to understand what the writer is thinking with the 'watching cartoons' examples. I'm guessing it's that she believes that introducing the utterance with the time frame (When I was little) better affords it to be read as an expression of tendency, given that the sentence is out of context. I don't know.

In any case, Rachel Adams, I suggest you give up completely on this idea of putting the time frame first. It's unhelpful and it's obviously confusing you.

I understand. But it is it true that unlike "used to," "would do" doesn't work as a standalone sentence, as in "He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day" without "when he was stressed" or "He would play football" without "every Sunday", "Tom would drink a lot of coffee" without "when he was younger"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I understand. But it is it true that unlike "used to," "would do" doesn't work as a standalone sentence, as in "He would smoke 40 cigarettes a day" without "when he was stressed" or "He would play football" without "every Sunday", "Tom would drink a lot of coffee" without "when he was younger"?
It's possible that it would work as a sentence in a wider context, but as a standalone,I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.