[Grammar] using the definite article

• Thread starter dianaDurko13
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,686
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dianaDurko13

Hello! recently I've come across a very confusing variety of rules on the usage of article "the" in different sources. I'm interested particularly in the case when we talk about nationalities: the rule in one book reads we can use them without the definite article, while another one reads the contrary: we should use "the" with the nationalities ending in "ish" and some others. All the sources seem to be trustworthy, but what do you usually use in real English grammar nowadays? I'd be immensely grateful for your reply, since this is the material my students are going to come across at the final tests.
Best regards,
Diana, Ukraine.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hello! recently I've come across a very confusing variety of rules on the usage of article "the" in different sources. I'm interested particularly in the case when we talk about nationalities: the rule in one book reads we can use them without the definite article, while another one reads the contrary: we should use "the" with the nationalities ending in "ish" and some others. All the sources seem to be trustworthy, but what do you usually use in real English grammar nowadays? I'd be immensely grateful for your reply, since this is the material my students are going to come across at the final tests.
Best regards,
Diana, Ukraine.

Actually, I had never thought of that. As I look at a whole list of nationalities (Lists of people by nationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) it does appear to be true. I assume you are using them as nouns, correct? But, wait. What about "Lebanese" and "Lao"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Best regards,
Diana, Ukraine.
No doubt, part of the reason for your books seeming to be contradictory is that you haven't defined how you're going to use 'a nationality'.
Let's take 'English'. All of the following are correct.
He is English.
He is an English man with an umbrella.
He is the English man sitting in the corner.
The English eat sausages.
An English person eats sausages
The English person in the corner eats sausages.
English people eat sausages.

Status
Not open for further replies.