Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Egypt
I was wondering if someone could help explain why we don't use the indefinite article in this sentence (There is no couch in the living room) but we do use it in this sentence (There isn't a couch in the living room)?
Now I know it has something to do with no vs. not but I can't figure out how to explain to people why there is a difference.
Also, when I think about it, it seems like we almost never use 'a' after no but we do after no... but again, I just came seem to come up with a rule to explain it?
Thanks kindly....

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, D.C. Foster:

One expert has a very simple "rule": no + noun. In other words, never use an article between "no" and its noun:

"There is no sofa in the living room."

That expert reminds us that verb + not CAN use an article:

"There is not a sofa in the living room."

That expert tells us that the no + noun construction (kind of sentence) is more EMPHATIC:

(My dialogue)

James: May I borrow your car for the weekend?
Mona: I am sorry, but I do not have a car.
James: I do not believe you. I saw you driving a Honda yesterday.
Mona: That was not my car.
James: Are you sure?
Mona: Listen, James. I have no car!

James

That expert is Michael Swan in his Practical English Usage.

P.S. If you are looking for a more in-depth answer, you should remember that "not" is an adverb and that "no" is an adjective (in traditional grammar terms).

Last edited:

D.C. Foster

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Egypt
James, I'm new to this site and this was post (and I'm also new in regards to english teaching and grammar as well!)... so thank you so being so gracious and giving me a great answer for what was probably a simple question!

Sincerely,

Dave

PS- And by the way... I love knowing that 'not' is an adverb and "no" is an adjective! So thanks for adding that as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
James, I'm new to this site and this was my first post (and I'm also new [strike]in[/strike] with regards to English teaching and grammar as well!) (no ellipsis here) so thank you [strike]so[/strike] for being so gracious and giving me a great answer for what was probably a simple question!

[strike]Sincerely,[/strike] Unnecessary

Dave

PS- And by the way, I love knowing that "not" is an adverb and "no" is an adjective! So thanks for adding that as well.

D.C. Foster, please see my amendments above. I realise that you are a native speaker but it's important to realise that, on this forum, English learners will assume that everything a native speaker (and more importantly, an English teacher) writes is absolutely correct. With that in mind, it's important to check your own posts really carefully before you post them so that you can avoid the kind of basic mistakes and typos that appeared in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.