Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In this sentence: "The flight was postponed because someone telephoned, warning about a bomb on board.". Why is "Ving" used as in "warning"? What sentence structure is it?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello Camelia and welcome to the forum. Please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some or all of the words asked about.

I don't understand your question. "Ving" does not appear in the sentence you quoted. Please edit your post to clarify your question.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "warning about a bomb on board" explains what the caller said. That is, the conversation was about a bomb on board the plane.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
And the ving?

Camelia Hoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello Camelia and welcome to the forum. Please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some or all of the words asked about.

I don't understand your question. "Ving" does not appear in the sentence you quoted. Please edit your post to clarify your question.
Thanks for your reply. I meant why "warning" is used but not "to warn" (infinitive of purpose).

Camelia Hoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is a student's way of representing the -ing form of a verb.

In this case, the -ing form of the verb 'warn' is a present participle, heading a present participle phrase.
Hi. Sorry for confusing question :) . We often call "-ing form of verb" V-ing :). Thank for your reply. In this case, is present participle used as a reduced form of a clause ?

Camelia Hoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You could say to warn, without the comma, but the -ing structure is more natural.
Ah. I see. Thanks a lot !!! I just feel confused about the grammar.

Camelia Hoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The phrase "warning about a bomb on board" explains what the caller said. That is, the conversation was about a bomb on board the plane.
Thank you. I understand the meaning of the sentence. I just don't get the use of "warning" ("ing" form of verb). I thought it should be "to warn" or "warned".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Q: What was the person doing when they telephoned the airline?
A: They were warning the airline about a bomb.

It would also have been perfectly grammatical for the writer to say "someone telephone to warn about a bomb on board". They chose not to.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, I think that worrying about whether a v-ing form of a verb is a gerund or a participle is a waste of time- it confers no greater understanding and doesn't help learners. Learning to know that a v-ing form is needed in a sentence strikes me as more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.