Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was having a conversation about travelling. And I said:
1) I've visited a few countries so far and I'm going to Dubai next. I just trying to get as many visas on my passport as I can to strengthen it.
- Do we say 'visa on passports?'
- Does 'strengthen my passport' get the right message across?

Next I said:
2) If I get a visa for Dubai it'll be easier for me to get visas for a lot of other countries including European and Western countries.
Someone was talking about going to Pakistan and I said:
3) If you get a Pakistani visa on your passport you'll have a hard time getting visas for a lot of countries including India, Bangladesh and the USA. (No hate here. It's just something that happened to someone I know.)
- Do we 'get visa for a country?'

And also please let me know if my sentences sound natural. I'm quiet sure they sound very unnatural.

Last edited:
Do we 'get visa for a country?'
Yes. You don't get one on your passport. They usually go in it.

I think I understand what you meant by "strengthening" your passport, but that's not the way to express the idea. Leave your passport out of it; you want to get certain visas to make it easier to get others. (I'm not at all sure that's how it works, though.)

It's not necessarily visas - it can happen with immigration entry stamps from certain countries too (they're not the same as a visa). For example, at one time, if you had an entry stamp in your passport from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, you would be denied entry to Greece. (I don't know if this is still the case.)

A visa is stuck in your passport before you travel (some countries) and stamped/stuck in your passport on arrival (other countries). In countries where no visa is required (for certain nationalities), you simply get an entry stamp in your passport.

We don't say "strengthen a passport".

It's not necessarily visas - it can happen with immigration entry stamps from certain countries too (they're not the same as a visa). For example, at one time, if you had an entry stamp in your passport from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, you would be denied entry to Greece. (I don't know if this is still the case.)

A visa is stuck in your passport before you travel (some countries) and stamped/stuck in your passport on arrival (other countries). In countries where no visa is required (for certain nationalities), you simply get an entry stamp in your passport.

We don't say "strengthen a passport".
Thank you for this answer. I'll start saying 'in' from now on "I have ten visas in my passport." By the way do we say 'stuck visa/stamp?'
What about 'for?' Do we say "I've applied for a visa for Dubai?

A visa often takes the form of a sizable sheet of paper. You wouldn't want many of those cluttering up your passport—especially if they're valid for a single use only.

Here is an example of a UK student visa (multiple entry):

UKstudentvisa.jpg

(Source: Wikiwand)

You can clearly see that it is a printed sheet of paper that has been stuck (glued) into the passport, on one of the blank pages.

This is an example of a UK immigration entry stamp in a passport:

Heathrow_stamp.jpg

(Source: immigrationboards.com)

It is a rubber stamp that has had black ink applied and the officer then simply stamps it in the passport.

A visa often takes the form of a sizable sheet of paper. You wouldn't want many of those cluttering up your passport—especially if they're valid for a single use only.

When I was living in SE Asia, I needed a passport every few years because of these stamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back