Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
This is summary of Godfather part 1

Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect but is ruthless against those who do not

Is it possible to omit the be verbs "is" in bold ?

Vito is a powerful man, and kind to all those who give him respect but ruthless against those who do not

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. In fact, I think it reads better without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a summary of The Godfather, Part 1.

Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect, but is ruthless against those who do not.
Note my corrections to your opening sentence. Below it is how you can write that sentence without "and", "but" and two instances of "is".

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Note my corrections to your opening sentence. Below it is how you can write that sentence without "and", "but" and two instances of "is".

Thank you.

Is the opening sentence correct, but awkward?

This is the opening sentence.

Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect but is ruthless against those who do not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. Is the opening sentence correct, but awkward? This is the opening sentence.

Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect but is ruthless against those who do not.
Your opening sentence was "This is summary of Godfather part 1". That's the sentence I made corrections to.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate you contribution.

Is this sentence correct, but awakard

1-Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect but is ruthless against those who do not.

Is it correct to rewrite it to :

2-Vito, powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, is ruthless against those who do not.
3-Vito, is powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, is ruthless against those who do not.
4-Vito, who is a powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, ruthless against those who do not.

In sentence two and three, I used appositive, whereas in four, a relative clause.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What are you trying to do exactly, and why?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
What are you trying to do exactly, and why?
I want to write variety of sentences, trying to write long sentences and make my writing more sophisticated. The reason I posted the thread is to know which sentences correct and which aren't.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this sentence correct, but awakard?

Ask what's the best way to express what you mean.

It seems to me that you want to say two different things here, in which case you should use two sentences, like this:

Vito is a powerful man. He's kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who don't.

Don't try and say too much in one sentence. It's okay to put lots of information into just one long sentence as long as the information is sufficiently related. In this context, there's no strong relation between being powerful and being kind/ruthless. If you really do want to suggest that Vito's power in some way allows him to be kind and ruthless, then you can express that like this:

Vito is a powerful man—kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who don't.

The dash shows that the latter part of the sentence is a development of what's stated in the first part. In this version, you're essentially saying one thing.

So which is it? Do you want to say one thing or two things?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate your contribution. All of this is unnecessary. Show your appreciation by adding the Thanks icon to any post you find useful.

Is this sentence correct, but awakard awkward?

1-Vito is a powerful man, and is kind to all those who give him respect but is ruthless against those who do not.

Is it correct to rewrite it to any/all of the following?

2-Vito, powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, is ruthless against those who do not.
3-Vito, is powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, is ruthless against those who do not.
4-Vito, who is a powerful man, kind to all those who give him respect, ruthless against those who do not.

In sentences two and three, I used an appositive, whereas in four, I used a relative clause.
Please note my corrections above. Sentences 2, 3 and 4, as written, all contain errors and/or are ungrammatical.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Ask what's the best way to express what you mean.

It seems to me that you want to say two different things here, in which case you should use two sentences, like this:

Vito is a powerful man. He's kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who don't.

Don't try and say too much in one sentence. It's okay to put lots of information into just one long sentence as long as the information is sufficiently related. In this context, there's no strong relation between being powerful and being kind/ruthless. If you really do want to suggest that Vito's power in some way allows him to be kind and ruthless, then you can express that like this:

Vito is a powerful man—kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who don't.

The dash shows that the latter part of the sentence is a development of what's stated in the first part. In this version, you're essentially saying one thing.

So which is it? Do you want to say one thing or two things?

Sorry for the late reply. Although he has different characteristics like kindness, helpfulness, he is merciless to those who stand up against him and his family's interests. Therefore, I would say one sentence consisting of his characteristics like the second sentence with a dash. Thank you for helping me. 🙏

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Please note my corrections above. Sentences 2, 3 and 4, as written, all contain errors and/or are ungrammatical.
Sorry for the late reply.Could you please correct sentences 2,3, and 4 if you please? I guess, I make mistakes with appositive and relative clauses.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Although he has different characteristics like kindness, helpfulness, he is merciless to those who stand up against him and his family's interests. Therefore, I would say one sentence consisting of his characteristics like the second sentence with a dash. Thank you for helping me. 🙏

I don't think you've understood what I said.

Do you see a connection between these two things?:

a) being powerful
b) being kind to some people and ruthless to others

If you do, tell me what it is.

Could you please correct sentences 2,3, and 4 if you please? I guess, I make mistakes with appositive and relative clauses.

Let's deal with the sentencing first. Get the logic clear in your mind before you think about alternative grammatical constructions. Answer my question above, please.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I don't think you've understood what I said.

Do you see a connection between these two things?:

a) being powerful
b) being kind to some people and ruthless to others

If you do, tell me what it is.

No. I see no connection between a and b, but rather "b" seems to me that there is connection showing how he behaves towards others. In other words, he is kind ,but ruthless to those who don't give him respect.

This is the original sentence

The sentence in bold doesn't connect with the rest.

Thank you. I hope my reply is clear.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. Well, in that case, since there is no connection, I'd advise you to separate the two thoughts into two separate sentences:

Vito is a powerful man. He is kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who do not.

You see? Now you're saying two things about Vito instead of one. Much better.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you. Well, in that case, since there is no connection, I'd advise you to separate the two thoughts into two separate sentences:

Vito is a powerful man. He is kind to those who give him respect and ruthless to those who do not.

You see? Now you're saying two things about Vito instead of one. Much better.
Thank you for helping me. Your sentence is much better. Could you please help correcting the sentences from 2 to 4 in post #6. Thank you again.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could you please help correcting the sentences from 2 to 4 in post #6.

I'm telling you to write two sentences, not one. In post #6, you have three different versions of one sentence.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I'm telling you to write two sentences, not one. In post #6, you have three different versions of one sentence.
I was trying to use appositives.

2-Vito is a powerful man. And he is kind to all those who give him respect, is ruthless against those who do not.

3-Vito who is a powerful man. He is kind to all those who give him respect, but is ruthless against those who do not.

4-Vito, is a powerful man. He is kind to all those who give him respect, ruthless against those who do not.

Thank you so much. Sorry for taking your time.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's use a different example:

Vito, the cunning patriarch of the Corleone family, navigates a world of power and intrigue.

The highlighted part is an appositive phrase.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Let's use a different example:

Vito, the cunning patriarch of the Corleone family, navigates a world of power and intrigue.

The highlighted part is an appositive phrase.

Thank you. Appositive provides information about something or someone.

MVP, Emad, is from the UAE.

I find it hard to use appositives in #19 .Because you explained to me the first part of the sentence doesn't connect with the rest. Are the sentences in #19 correct? After reading about appositives, I guess sentence 4 is incorrect. The appositives phrase is not possible there.