Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have no clue what "walk back a dumb tweet" means.

Bing Dictionary says "Definition of walk back : to retreat from or distance oneself from (a previously stated opinion or position)."

So I guess it means "walk away from a stupid tweet like this (and celebrate the victory of our combating the novel coronavirus)."

Do I guess it right?

----------------------------------

Sam Harris tweeted: One day, we will live in a culture where a person can walk back a dumb tweet like this—utterly, without residue—and be celebrated for it. What do you think,
@RealCandaceO
, want to help build that culture right now?

Quote Tweet

Candace Owens @RealCandaceO · Mar 11
One day, we will look back and study the impact of the coronavirus.

Not the virus itself of course, but the mass global mental breakdown that it inspired.

Because people think it’s novel that 80 year olds are dying at a high rate from a flu.

This tweet will age well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To "walk back" here means to retract, or to say something else that negates the contents of the first thing, or to later manage to explain it so it doesn't sound so bad.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure you grasp the amount of snark in a tweet like this. It is basically saying that the tweet is dumb and the person should "walk it back."

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am not sure you grasp the amount of snark in a tweet like this. It is basically saying that the tweet is dumb and the person should "walk it back."

Yes. It is hard for me to grasp the essence of this tweet of Harris. Like, does "without residue—and be celebrated for it" mean "without trace - and be celebratd for what? For the retraction? Or for the victory over the novel coronavirus"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It is hard for me to grasp the essence of this tweet of Harris's. Like, does "without residue—and be celebrated for it" mean "without a trace - and be celebrated for what? For the retraction?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.