Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

When Jiang was satisfied that Weifeng's health was good, Jingying left to tell Weifeng's father the news, then went home to look after her own family. Longkai had overheard the conversation about his daughter's possible pregnancy from his workshop and knowing what it'd be like he decided to take advantage of them thinking he was too busy. When Jingying came over and told him what was going on, he realised the excitement had died down enough and left for Weifeng’s.

Laohu noticed the mothers had taken over his wife, so he sat at the dining table where it was safe with his father who spoke quietly, not quite whispering, to him. “Son, this pregnancy is very much a woman’s domain, so let your mothers work things out. Even Weifeng won’t have much say at this time”.

Laohu nodded, he had already decided that he was better off leaving the future grandmothers to it, but. “What if Weifeng doesn’t agree with them? She’s not exactly a pushover”.

Jiang considered Laohu’s very reasonable question. “That’s a tough call, son, but my advice is to take Weifeng’s side if she needs you to unless it’s obvious she’s unreasonable. If it gets too heated, just tell everyone to calm down in a loud voice, nothing more. Weifeng is full of changing emotions at this time, so tread carefully, very carefully. Mostly, it’s about listening and being helpful”.

Laohu nodded, and Jiang thought he looked like a soldier about to go on a dangerous mission.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When Jiang was satisfied that Weifeng's health was good, Jingying left to tell Weifeng's father the news of her pregnancy, then she went home to look after her own family. Longkai had overheard the conversation about his daughter's possible pregnancy from his workshop and knowing what it would be like he decided to take advantage of them thinking he was too busy.

How did he hear about it through his workshop, and what was he too busy for?

When Jingying came over and told him what was going on, he realised the excitement had died down enough and left for Weifeng’s.

I'm totally confused. What excitement had died down?

Isn't it her first pregnancy?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Telling somebody to calm down (especially with a loud voice) doesn't work very well.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Between the first paragraph and the second paragraph the scene changes very abruptly.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Telling somebody to calm down (especially with a loud voice) doesn't work very well.

I totally agree with you. Could you please suggest a proper way to cool down a heated argument in this context?

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm totally confused. What excitement had died down?

Isn't it her first pregnancy?

Longkai was busy carving the jade. As for how he could overhear the conversation from his workshop, I have to say: Sorry, I have never thought of it.:) His excitement came from the two factors. One was that he would be a grandfather for the first time; the other was that he thought he would get away with the trouble or the mess involved in his daughter's pregnancy.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I totally agree with you. Could you please suggest a proper way to cool down a heated argument in this context?

You could try giving the person a glass of water to drink. You might say "How does that work?" Focusing on drinking the water makes them calm down some. (I've never done that
It's just an idea. As for telling somebody to calm down, I have done that, and it didn't work--not at all. Definitely don't speak in a loud voice. Do the opposite. And don't get excited. There will just be two of you instead of one.)

I'm not an expert on the subject. But don't speak in a loud voice. And remain calm.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Longkai was busy carving the jade. As for how he could overhear the conversation from his workshop, I have to say: Sorry, I have never thought of it.:) His excitement came from the two factors. One was that he would be a grandfather for the first time; the other was that he thought he would get away with the trouble or the mess involved in his daughter's pregnancy.

OK. He heard the conversation from his workshop. I don't get the last part about getting away with something though.
:-?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK. He heard the conversation from his workshop. I don't get the last part about getting away with something though.
:-?

In China, there is an old saying: Three women are enough for a drama. The pregnancy thing is very much a woman’s domain, and there are always a lot of things going on, which seems a kind of chaos and turmoil to men. So the best strategy for men is to stay away and tread carefully.:-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Assuming he needs to be told that, perhaps:

"Pregnancy is not something men know much about. Let the women handle it."