[Grammar] watched him, a good looking man of twenty six, strolling (paranthetical expressions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"I watched him through the kitchen window as he walked across the narrow wooden bridge that separates me from the rest of New Jersey, a good-ooking man of twenty six, strolling toward the house at his usual boyish gaith.

I know these constructions are parethetical expressions but they still seem to me unfamiliar. Can we please examine them closely for this example?

I cannot give a link because I can't fine one on the internet. Source. Hunter by Eric Sauter.

How does the part "a good-looking maen of twenty six" is added to the end of the sentence? Are there concealled, or neglected, constructions there such as "who is"?

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
hhtt21, there are five spelling mistakes in your post. Correct them and post below. Here's the first:
good-ooking -------> good-looking

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"I watched him through the kitchen window as he walked across the narrow wooden bridge that separates me from the rest of New Jersey, a good-looking man of twenty six, strolling toward the house at his usual boyish gaith.

I know these constructions are parenthetical expressions but they still seem to me unfamiliar. Can we please examine them closely for this example?

I cannot give a link because I can't find one on the internet. Source. Hunter by Eric Sauter.

How does the part "a good-looking man of twenty six" is added to the end of the sentence? Are there concealed
, or neglected, constructions there such as "who is"?

Okay, I have dealt with them in the above. Would you please introduce the proper way of my explanations and expressions?

Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know these constructions are parethetical expressions but they still seem to me unfamiliar.

NOT A TEACHER

I was just wondering, hhtt21, whether "a good-looking man of twenty six" is an appositive rather than a parenthetical expression.

For example, one could phrase your sentence like this: "I watched him through the kitchen window as he, a good-looking man of twenty six, strolling toward the house at his usual boyish gait, walked across the narrow wooden bridge that separates me from the rest of New Jersey."

Last edited by a moderator:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
NOT A TEACHER

I was just wondering, hhtt21, whether "a good-looking man of twenty six" is an appositive rather than a parenthetical expression.

For example, one could phrase your sentence like this: "I watched him through the kitchen window as he, a good-looking man of twenty six, strolling toward the house at his usual boyish gait, walked across the narrow wooden bridge that separates me from the rest of New Jersey."

Would you please explain the grammar of your sentence?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I watched him through the kitchen window as he walked across the narrow wooden bridge that separates me from the rest of New Jersey, a good-looking man of twenty six, strolling toward the house at his usual boyish gait.

I know these constructions are parenthetical expressions but they still seem to me unfamiliar.

They don't look parenthetical to me.

Can we please examine them closely
in this example?

I cannot give a link because I can't find one on the internet. Source. Hunter by Eric Sauter.

Why is "a good-looking man of twenty six" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] added to the end of the sentence?

It describes him:

"I watched him, . . . a good-looking man of twenty-six, strolling toward the house . . . ."

Are the
re concealed[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] or neglected[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] constructions there such as "who is"?

No.

Okay, I have dealt with them in the above. Would you please introduce the proper way
to write my explanations and expressions?

Sorry, I don't know the proper way.

Thank you.
Do you understand the sentence now?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please explain the grammar of your sentence?

NOT A TEACHER

hhtt, I have found some information that I think will interest you.

1. "Jim Gold, who is a professional magician, performed at my sister's birthday party." "Who is a professional magician" is an adjective clause.

2. "Jim Gold, a professional magician, performed at my sister's birthday party." The words "who is" have been deleted. "A professional magician" is an appositive. Sometimes a sentence reads more smoothly if an adjective clause is reduced to an appositive.

Source on the World Wide Web: thoughtco.com/how-to-build-sentences

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
NOT A TEACHER

hhtt, I have found some information that I think will interest you.

1. "Jim Gold, who is a professional magician, performed at my sister's birthday party." "Who is a professional magician" is an adjective clause.

2. "Jim Gold, a professional magician, performed at my sister's birthday party." The words "who is" have been deleted. "A professional magician" is an appositive. Sometimes a sentence reads more smoothly if an adjective clause is reduced to an appositive.

Source on the World Wide Web: thoughtco.com/how-to-build-sentences

Such appositives might be mixed up with "reduced relative clauses". What is the difference?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

Hhtt, a "relative clause" is just another name for an "adjective" or "adjectival" clause.

Source: Chalker and Weiner, The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar ​(1994), page 342.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know these constructions are parethetical expressions but they still seem to me unfamiliar.

NOT A TEACHER

Hhtt21, this morning I stumbled across a tidbit that I think will make your day ( = make you feel happy).

One scholar says that appositive phrases "feel parenthetical."

In other words, grammatically speaking, appositive phrases are not considered parenthetical, but this source agrees with you that they "feel" that way. Congratulations!

Source: James R. Hurford, Professor of General Languages, University of Edinburgh, Grammar A Student's Guide (1994), page 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.